Dismounted Mosby's Rangers Unit

liamdd2004

Cadet
Hi everyone, I'm new to reenacting and was thinking about joining a unit which portrays Mosby's Rangers, but dismounted. The group fights alongside infantry as skirmishers. I pretty sure this would never have happened in the civil war. So, is this unit just utter farb? Also, if anyone knows any authentic CS infantry reenacting units in Northern California please give me their info. Thanks!

Well welcome to the world of reenacting! Oh and yes, by the sounds of it, I'd say the unit is "utter farb". Mosby's Rangers hit hard and fast, and its kinda hard to do that on foot, this reenacting unit of yours sounds like most of the "dismounted cav." units that permeate the hobby. For evidence I'd simply direct you towards the simplest internet search, Mosby's Rangers functioning as dismounted skirmishers is as crazy as the idea of them working alongside Confederate infantry, because simply put, they worked behind enemy lines, away from other Confederate troops on their own most of the time.

I commend you for your apparent good sense as you stopped and began to think. As for C.S. infantry units in California, I'm sorry I can't help you, California is a long way from East Texas for me to be of help in that department.

Good luck to you, and for more info on Mosby's Rangers, several members beside Mosby himself published memoirs, you can find them, and probably hear from them themselves on the notion of them fighting dismounted as skirmishers beside Confederate infantry.

Last edited:
Personally (Your opinion may vary) I would treat this group with a great deal of concern.

However as I know nothing about them I would suggest you go and watch one of their events. There see if they are all wearing yellow 'cavalry' facings and pristine gray uniforms or if every one of them is laden down with twenty seven handguns. If so... run... run fast. If not talk to them. Try and gauge their authenticity for it looks like you want a unit that is mostly realistic (no one can get it 100% right but attempting to do so can be important).

As to the rest maybe someone will be able to help.

Well I think your starting to think in the right direction. In your thread on doing the right impression the first thing I was going to ask is if they had horses but I didn't want to discourage you. That's why I recommended keeping your uniform generic so you could eventually join the infantry. I don't know anyone personally in California but I bet someone here does. I believe there were a couple reenactors on here from out that way. In the meantime I'll look around and see what I can find. Get out to a couple of events in your area and check it out and talk to the guys and find a bunch you'd like to hang with.

Back