delmonicos_wide-09c36b6e0cd9c830c68e5604c0a6c011f0105c9f-s800-c85.jpg

Baked Alaska at Delmonico's restaurant in New York City stays true to the original. (Photo of Delmonico's Restaurant)
The name Baked Alaska originated at Delmonico's Restaurant in New York City in 1876. An Englishman, George Sala, who visited Delmonico's in the 1880s described it this way:

"The 'Alaska' is a baked ice....The nucleus or core of the entremet is an ice cream. This is surrounded by an envelope of carefully whipped cream, which, just before the dainty dish is served, is popped into the oven, or is brought under the scorching influence of a red hot salamander."

The original version consisted of banana ice cream, walnut spice cake and meringue torched to a golden brown. Delmonico's continues to serve it today and in more or less the same fashion as the original: walnut sponge cake layered with apricot compote and banana gelato, covered with torched meringue. This is the original 1800s recipe according to Delmonico’s Chef Bill Oliva.

Delmonico's Baked Alaska

Walnut Sponge Ingredients:
8 oz. Egg Yolks
5 oz. Sugar
8 oz. Egg Whites
6 oz. Sifted All Purpose Flour
5oz. Chopped Walnuts

Directions:
Combine egg yolks with 2oz. sugar in bowl of electric mixer. Beat at medium speed until thick and light in color.

In another bowl beat egg whites with remaining sugar to medium peaks.

Gently fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.

Fold sifted flour and chopped walnuts into egg mixture.

Spread batter on parchment lined sheet pan and bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

When cooled completely cut into 3 inch rounds and set aside.

Apricot Compote Ingredients:
1lb. dried apricots (roughly chopped )
2 tbs. sugar
2 star anise
2 whole cloves
1 vanilla pod split lengthwise
1 ½ cups orange juice
1 ½ cups water
Zest of 1 orange

Directions:
Put all compote ingredients into heavy bottom pan and bring mixture to boil.

Reduce heat and simmer till apricots are cooked and liquid forms a syrup.

Banana Ice Cream Ingredients:
1.5 pints milk
1.5 pints heavy cream
12oz. sugar
10 egg yolks
6oz. puree banana

Directions:
Place milk, cream half the sugar and vanilla bean in saucepan and bring mixture to boiling point.

Blend egg yolks with remaining sugar.

Temper the egg yolk mixture into the hot milk mixture.

Add banana puree and heat slowly till mixture thickens to coat back of spoon.

Stain mixture and allow to cool in ice bath- refrigerate overnight.

Prepare mixture in ice cream machine – reserve in freezer till assembly.

Italian Meringue Ingredients:
1 lb. sugar
4 oz. water
8 oz. egg whites

Directions:
Combine sugar and water in saucepan and bring mixture to 240 degrees.

Put egg whites in bowl of mixer and start to beat when sugar reaches 230 degrees – whip egg whites to soft peaks.

Start to add sugar syrup to egg whites in steady stream and continue beating to all sugar syrup has been incorporated into mixture.

Continue beating till mixture has smooth consistency and firm peaks.

Directions for Assembly:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Place walnut cake rounds on a serving plate.

Top walnut cake rounds with apricot compote.

Scoop a generous portion of banana ice cream onto apricot compote.

Place Italian meringue in pastry bag and completely cover the ice cream, walnut cake and compote with meringue.

Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 4 minutes or until meringue is slightly browned and crispy.

This recipe is quite an undertaking. If you decide to make it, please invite me over! :hungry:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Ellie. I ate this dessert in New York City many years ago while I was in college. It was absolutely delicious. This dessert can be made at home very easily: Take two nice pieces of pound cake. Place two scoops of your favorite vanilla ice cream on the pound cake. Take heavy cream and add a little sugar and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl and mix until stiff peaks form. Encase the entire pound cake and ice cream with the cream mixture and place the whole thing in a 350 degree oven for fifteen minutes. David.

Ellie. I ate this dessert in New York City many years ago while I was in college. It was absolutely delicious. This dessert can be made at home very easily: Take two nice pieces of pound cake. Place two scoops of your favorite vanilla ice cream on the pound cake. Take heavy cream and add a little sugar and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl and mix until stiff peaks form. Encase the entire pound cake and ice cream with the cream mixture and place the whole thing in a 350 degree oven for fifteen minutes. David.
Thank you David! This is a recipe I can follow. :smile:

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Had Baked Alaska once at Delmonicos. It's good, but very sweet in my opinion so if you don't like stuff overly sweet it may not be for you. Though I will note it's such a work of dessert art that just having it arrive at your table is amazing. You also wait a bit for it as I think they do the meringue portion for each diner when it's ordered!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!