Delaware regiments.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Delaware did not seem to provide a huge number of regiments for the Union Army. I am not even sure if I heard of any battles with Delaware regiments. Perhaps I just did not pay attention. So did Delaware contribute much to the Civil War.

I know Delaware was a border state and had divided loyalties. Does anyone know how many men from Delaware traveled south to join the Confederate Army? If so were they put into a Delaware regiment or battalion?

Delaware did not seem to provide a huge number of regiments for the Union Army. I am not even sure if I heard of any battles with Delaware regiments. Perhaps I just did not pay attention. So did Delaware contribute much to the Civil War.

I know Delaware was a border state and had divided loyalties. Does anyone know how many men from Delaware traveled south to join the Confederate Army? If so were they put into a Delaware regiment or battalion?

http://www.descv.org/DelawareConfederates.html

Delaware provided around 12,000 men to the Union cause with nine infantry regiments, one cavalry regiment and one
one artillery battery and several independent infantry and cavalry companies. There were no regiments organized for
the Confederacy but men from Delaware did serve in the Confederate Army. The First Delaware Infantry Regiment was
probably the most notable of these units, fighting in several of the major battles in the East and losing twelve officers and
146 enlisted men killed in combat.

Last edited:
source : Osprey library, maa 190 - ACW armies 4 state troops

Delaware & District of Columbia

Both Delaware's and the District of Columbia's contributions to the Union army were provided for (exept for an issue of M1855 rfled muskets by Delaware to its 1st infantry regiment) by the US government. Neither the state nor the District had a unique belt plate insignia. Delaware made staff buttons with the state coat of arms during this period; the District did not.

... that's all ....

I started reading Uniforms of the Union Volunteers of 1861 'the mid-Atlantic States by Ron Field. I have not read the chapter on Delaware or the District yet. Although the chapters are shorter than the chapters on Pennsylvania and New York, I look forward to reading them.

Back