CSS Manassas build 2019

I have been doing research into building the CSS Manassas per the CWT blogs on her. I have concluded that "Flagships" model will work as a basis for the build. The comparison images show differences in the designs but as you can see, will work fine for a bash kit to get the blog outcome from @OwenEgan design. The model will be about 9 1/2" length at 1/192 scale approximately.

Will have some more info on this build soon. Model and parts have to be ordered along with some discussion with @shipmodeler . (Flagship models) I have researched this extensively for the build and considering cost factors along with a scratch build possibility, this is the way I will produce Owens design representation as close as possible. As the H.L. Hunley model of mine this one will have to be shaped accordingly using green putty. Depending on N scale for railroad tracks, I might be able to use actual tracks for the armor plating. We'll see.

Drawings provided from Flagship and @OwenEgan . Images scaled to each other for build note comparison done by myself.

View attachment 214399

View attachment 214400
View attachment 214401
Just a quick comment on the ironing as depicted above. There is written evidence including a rude sketch by a junior engineer of the CSN named Dent at New Orleans that when the ram was being repaired after Head of Passes the lower angle of the knuckle was not horizontal. The center sketch with an angled lower knuckle is much closer to the engineer's sketch. Also I applaud the addition of bracing between the outside drawings showing twin funnels. The bow hatch in the right sketch seems about right. Although the replacement bow chaser is cited as a 32-lb carronade, this may not be strictly true. The inventory of captured ordnance at Norfolk as ordered by the governor of Virigina has less than a handful of 32-lb carronades. On the other hand, there were many more of the modified 42-lb carronades which may have incorporated the ability for higher elevation of the gun's tube and better range. As New Orleans lacked a pre-war naval station, the source of a carronade would have been limited. A possibility would have been one of the two former US Revenue schooners taken at the Crescent City. Some of the Revenue schooners of the period carried one or two longer guns as chasers and two to four carronades as broadside pieces.

Just a quick comment on the ironing as depicted above. There is written evidence including a rude sketch by a junior engineer of the CSN named Dent at New Orleans that when the ram was being repaired after Head of Passes the lower angle of the knuckle was not horizontal. The center sketch with an angled lower knuckle is much closer to the engineer's sketch. Also I applaud the addition of bracing between the outside drawings showing twin funnels. The bow hatch in the right sketch seems about right. Although the replacement bow chaser is cited as a 32-lb carronade, this may not be strictly true. The inventory of captured ordnance at Norfolk as ordered by the governor of Virigina has less than a handful of 32-lb carronades. On the other hand, there were many more of the modified 42-lb carronades which may have incorporated the ability for higher elevation of the gun's tube and better range. As New Orleans lacked a pre-war naval station, the source of a carronade would have been limited. A possibility would have been one of the two former US Revenue schooners taken at the Crescent City. Some of the Revenue schooners of the period carried one or two longer guns as chasers and two to four carronades as broadside pieces.
Just a quick addenda to the above on carronades captured at Norfolk. The list of guns captured at Norfolk compiled by Wm H. Peters at the direction of the Governor of Virginia and printed in "Recollections of a Naval Officer 1841-1865" pg 247 includes the following:

63 42-pounder carronades
35 32-pounder carronades

A huge percentage of the guns taken were variants of the 32-pounder family varying from 27 cwt (44) to 61 cwt (225).

Just a quick addenda to the above on carronades captured at Norfolk. The list of guns captured at Norfolk compiled by Wm H. Peters at the direction of the Governor of Virginia and printed in "Recollections of a Naval Officer 1841-1865" pg 247 includes the following:

63 42-pounder carronades
35 32-pounder carronades

A huge percentage of the guns taken were variants of the 32-pounder family varying from 27 cwt (44) to 61 cwt (225).

@georgew , great info appreciate the data.

Back