CSS Albemarle paint scheme

corn-fed-erate

Corporal
Anyone come across a reference to what color the Albemarle may have been actually painted? Was it a gray, black or very dark blue like those in Wilmington. The same question for the CSS Neuse.

Definitely tending toward a lighter value:

h58773.jpg

So a light steel gray with 6-8 months worth of rust weathering would be a fair representation?
on my 1/1200 scale model I used a mix of matt black and silver.
A lot of CSN ships were painted with coal tar, which ,depending on the type of coal and the processes it had been through, that is, what had been extracted from it, could vary in colour from jet black through to off white and anything in between, It at least served to prevent iron from rusting.
However, as I said there is no indication either way that Albemarle or Neuse for that matter were ever painted.

So a light steel gray with 6-8 months worth of rust weathering would be a fair representation?
Considering the mechanics and blacksmiths were still working with a portable forge on the deck as they drifted her downstream after her commissioning, I doubt painting was a high priority. They were rushing to get her in service. The Albemarle was moved downriver from Halifax to Hamilton to put on the last plates because Cooke feared her draft would be too great otherwise. The ship had to leave on April 17th, ready or not, to coordinate with Hoke's attack plan on Plymouth.

Back