What is this? CSA sword information

Dslowicki

Cadet
Not sure exactly what I have or if it is authentic or a reproduction. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Don Slowicki [email protected]
IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

Interesting piece but will need more photos to determine just what it is

I am away from my reference books and files so cannot post photos. It is a crude repop of what is known as a Leech & Rigdon floating CS staff and field sword. Leech & Rigdon was a Memphis/Columbus MS sword manufacturer and its products are distinctive. Package 4 is spot on. In addition, very, very few were engraved and the style of engraving is wrong. The scabbards for the real version of this sword were leather. The hilt and CS on this sword are visibly thicker than the original. The pommel cap is entirely wrong. It appears to have been artificially aged -- UCV would taste acid.

So is there a manufacturer that produced a bunch of these? Curiously they could still be early twentieth century, like 1901. The leather wear looks real to me. Thanks for the heads up!
Lubliner.

So is there a manufacturer that produced a bunch of these? Curiously they could still be early twentieth century, like 1901. The leather wear looks real to me. Thanks for the heads up!
Lubliner.
There was a company in the 1960s called House of Swords, they would take parts of original swords, to include scabbards, hilts etc to fabricate their “creations”. After 60 years these swords have acquired additional patina to the one that was falsely applied when created. These were mostly ”high end” and fantasy swords, but they made quite a few.

There are other reproductions for the reenacting market, that are artificially aged to fool the buyer, which is not too difficult to do with the right chemicals.

To get a better understanding there is a very good website @ AZSwords.com. There is a great area which covers known fakes.

What indicates this? Just for my information. Thanks
Although not exactly answering the question, it's still an indication of a fake: Etched or engraved blades on genuine Confederate swords were a rarity, so the presence of one should always be a red flag to a prospective buyer. This was true for at least half of the previous century, making it tempting for shysters in the 1950's to "fake" or enhance an actual Confederate sword by adding spurious engraving of the kind on this example to increase its value from $100 or so up to two or three hundred dollars.

Back