Crowning A Barrel

I belive they all had a rudimitary crown at least enough to take the sharp edge off of the inside and outside of the muzzle. I know some had what we would call a crown today but I am not enough of a student to tell you which ones.
 
Okay, I think I have idea of what you mean by crowning, but since I'm not a gun person, would that be something attached to the end of the barrel, or just part of the process of making the barrel? How would that be done?
 
Crowning a barrel has been around for a long time. Some patched round ball rifles were also coned at the muzzle. A cone shape was ground in the muzzle so that a patched ball could be easily started into the barrel. From what I have read, short starters are relativly new to muzzle loading rifles.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top