Discussion Could flying artillery, really fly?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I have always found the term "flying artillery" a bit humorous. Any one care to explain this term to our non cannon people.

Horse Artillery

The official term for field batteries assigned to operate with cavalry (unofficially sometimes also called "light" or "flying" artillery). On the Union side these were only in the Army of the Potomac (AOP) and manned almost entirely by regulars. In order to keep up with the troopers all the men in these batteries were mounted. These batteries were typically armed with light-weight ordnance rifles (or perhaps howitzers in the Confederate army) which also had lighter ammunition chests. If Napoleons were used then eight-horse teams might be employed (and certainly no fewer than six per team). The men in these batteries carried side arms and sabers and could function as cavalry if needed.

Horse Artillery

The official term for field batteries assigned to operate with cavalry (unofficially sometimes also called "light" or "flying" artillery). On the Union side these were only in the Army of the Potomac (AOP) and manned almost entirely by regulars. In order to keep up with the troopers all the men in these batteries were mounted. These batteries were typically armed with light-weight ordnance rifles (or perhaps howitzers in the Confederate army) which also had lighter ammunition chests. If Napoleons were used then eight-horse teams might be employed (and certainly no fewer than six per team). The men in these batteries carried side arms and sabers and could function as cavalry if needed.
i would add that it originated in connection with the 1838 Poinsett (Secretary of War) reforms, which established four companies (much later called "batteries") of mobile field artillery which were "mounted" (only one of which was "fully mounted" horse artillery - more on that at another time). These companies were far more mobile on the battlefield than under prior US systems, which had finally moved from the heavy bracket trail to the single "block" trail, etc. Their increased mobility led to the popular name "flying artillery" which was ingrained during the War with Mexico because the mounted US companies had a significant mobility advantage over their Mexican opponents and exerted an important impact on fights at Palo Alto, Resaca de la Palma, Buena Vista, etc. As noted, three of the four were not true horse artillery/"fully mounted" but all were for the most part mounted. The term "mounted" caused some confusion about this. By the time of the Civil War "flying artillery" apparently became limited to the true horse artillery.

i would add that it originated in connection with the 1838 Poinsett (Secretary of War) reforms, which established four companies (much later called "batteries") of mobile field artillery which were "mounted" (only one of which was "fully mounted" horse artillery - more on that at another time). These companies were far more mobile on the battlefield than under prior US systems, which had finally moved from the heavy bracket trail to the single "block" trail, etc. Their increased mobility led to the popular name "flying artillery" which was ingrained during the War with Mexico because the mounted US companies had a significant mobility advantage over their Mexican opponents and exerted an important impact on fights at Palo Alto, Resaca de la Palma, Buena Vista, etc. As noted, three of the four were not true horse artillery/"fully mounted" but all were for the most part mounted. The term "mounted" caused some confusion about this. By the time of the Civil War "flying artillery" apparently became limited to the true horse artillery.

Yes. By the CW "mounted" artillery was the official term for batteries that supported and accompanied infantry (i.e. the second type of field artillery batteries). Heavy artillery batteries were sometimes known as "foot" artillery. It's confusing but all the names come from the 1830s. Mounted batteries are so named because originally the drivers were a different branch than the cannoneers per se and could double as cavalry.

Yes. By the CW "mounted" artillery was the official term for batteries that supported and accompanied infantry (i.e. the second type of field artillery batteries). Heavy artillery batteries were sometimes known as "foot" artillery. It's confusing but all the names come from the 1830s. Mounted batteries are so named because originally the drivers were a different branch than the cannoneers per se and could double as cavalry.
Yep. And as we both know it generated much misunderstanding over the years.

It could be added that the term had been used in other languages before that, e.g. by Frederick the Great's Prussians (Fliegende Artillerie) and then of course by the French under Napoleon (artillerie volante); and possibly in Spanish as well.

Last edited:
I saw the term "flying artillery" in a book I am currently reading about Second Manassas. I wish now that I had noted the name of the battery and where it unlimbered. I looked in the index for "flying artillery" but no luck. If I run across it again,I will take note.

Back