Contract to Build a RR

I admit to knowing nothing about the San Antonio & Mexican Gulf RR, but the name sounded familiar so I looked through my records. I have a sword that belonged to a soldier who, per his muster-out roll, served as the Roadmaster of said railroad from August 14, 1865 until February 9, 1866. Photos of the document are below.

20210807_172553.jpg

20210807_172614.jpg

I admit to knowing nothing about the San Antonio & Mexican Gulf RR, but the name sounded familiar so I looked through my records. I have a sword that belonged to a soldier who, per his muster-out roll, served as the Roadmaster of said railroad from August 14, 1865 until February 9, 1866. Photos of the document are below.

View attachment 410362

View attachment 410363
The Roadmaster would have been in charge of keeping the track and bridges in usable condition. Here to the link to the railroad on my web site. Note the last entry, at the bottom; this is probably the locomotive the US used when they arrived.

http://csa-railroads.com/San_Antonio_and_Mexican_Gulf.htm

This is an intriguing situation. General Magruder was given the command to destroy the railroad on December 27, 1863. As of January 15, 1864, he receives a commendation for this destruction. Upon the initial order he was given the authority to arrest President Wheeler if any attempt was made by him to offset his orders. On January 7, 1864, the engineer in charge states that Mr. Wheeler has done everything possible to throw obstructions in the way, that the negroes used are broken down, and at least half of the others are sent home on leave. He also states the militia did nothing of importance.
If I am reading this correctly, the work was begun on Dec. 27, 1863 and was still ongoing through at least the first week of January, 1964. It was completed on the 29th of January. I was wondering if Mr. Wheeler was placed under arrest by General Magruder;
@DaveBrt do you know?
Lubliner.

This is an intriguing situation. General Magruder was given the command to destroy the railroad on December 27, 1863. As of January 15, 1864, he receives a commendation for this destruction. Upon the initial order he was given the authority to arrest President Wheeler if any attempt was made by him to offset his orders. On January 7, 1864, the engineer in charge states that Mr. Wheeler has done everything possible to throw obstructions in the way, that the negroes used are broken down, and at least half of the others are sent home on leave. He also states the militia did nothing of importance.
If I am reading this correctly, the work was begun on Dec. 27, 1863 and was still ongoing through at least the first week of January, 1964. It was completed on the 29th of January. I was wondering if Mr. Wheeler was placed under arrest by General Magruder;
@DaveBrt do you know?
Lubliner.
Have not seen the resolution to this question. But the reports are clear that the road was totally destroyed.

Another money-grubbing, land-grant, line-to-nowhere eh?
Hardly a line to nowhere. Port Lavaca and nearby Indianola were the closest ports to San Antonio. Before and after the Civil War, San Antonio was the major quartermaster depot supplying all Army posts on the Texas frontier. Without a railroad link to San Antonio, army supplies and immigrants traveling west had to move by ox wagon.

Hardly a line to nowhere. Port Lavaca and nearby Indianola were the closest ports to San Antonio. Before and after the Civil War, San Antonio was the major quartermaster depot supplying all Army posts on the Texas frontier. Without a railroad link to San Antonio, army supplies and immigrants traveling west had to move by ox wagon.
Sir, my apologies - I was making a joke for @DaveBrt. Maybe the San Antonio & Mexican Gulf RR was the beginning of the Southern TCRR...another joke :smile:

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Sir, my apologies - I was making a joke for @DaveBrt. Maybe the San Antonio & Mexican Gulf RR was the beginning of the Southern TCRR...another joke :smile:

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
@USS ALASKA you do not realize the wonderful feeling it is to have you back. I almost had to pinch myself thinking I was in a flashback to an old thread. Welcome back, and please do chime in.
Lubliner.

So did the San Antonio & Mexican Gulf RR get any engines and if so, what where they and what happened to them?

Sorry to jump to conclusions. As a former sailor (RM2, 1968-71) I wish you smooth sailing and a welcome back.
Thank you, sir - absolutely NO offence taken. I would call myself a smarta** but the first 5 letters doesn't apply. Heck - you are paying attention to the RR threads!!! Great!

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Back