UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
DSCN2023.JPG

Went back out to the site were I posted about the CS cannons dumped in the river. There are 10 total and on the last trip I believe we found 4 maybe 5 in the silt. I'm trying to locate them all before I pay for a diver as he is expensive and charges by the hour so I want to have exactly where he needs to dive to confirm they are indeed the cannons the yankees dumped in the river. I think we found the other 5. The side scan show 4 and I think the 5th is on the down scan peeking out of the silt. It sure looks like a 12 lber. Had a chat with our mayor on this issue and he is all for it (of course) but I don't believe folks release just how much its going to cost. Getting them out will be the least expensive part. The preservation is going to be expensive.
DSCN2026.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the original thread from about a month ago. The photos aren't there but here is the main one. I have been looking at CS cannon profiles and I believe the one with the arrow is a 3 inch Brooke. I'm hoping to get the diver in the water SOON to confirm. I know they were dumped in the river there at the arsenal site so we shall see.
IMG_20190802_131823170-001.jpg

I'm not going to start whistling Dixie and doing a dance till the diver confirms but with the research and where they are in the river which is right at the arsenal sight, it is promising.

I know how to get stuff off river bottoms without harming them!!! I may be rusty from years of not doing it but I know how to operate a crane, and if shallow enough to use a heavy enough one from shore, (or on a barge, I don't know your depth or how wide the river is), I'm even more skilled with a trackhoe.

Right now I'm in need of a river diver, they are in 46 ft and there is some barge traffic. Under state law we can dive on the site but can't bring anything up without the state permits. :banghead: Before I do all that I want to confirm that they are indeed the 10 cannons dumped in the river.

Here is the original thread from about a month ago. The photos aren't there but here is the main one. I have been looking at CS cannon profiles and I believe the one with the arrow is a 3 inch Brooke. I'm hoping to get the diver in the water SOON to confirm. I know they were dumped in the river there at the arsenal site so we shall see.
View attachment 327640
it may be the photo but the one below the arrow looks similar but not identical.

it may be the photo but the one below the arrow looks similar but not identical.

There not. I don't believe they were all the same type guns. They were sent over here from Selma in mid 1864 to be used in the fortifications on the map below. Some of the emplacements were larger than other plus that late in the war they probable sent what they had. Also, below is part of the report from the yankee Col who was the first officer here.
1569965695758.png

1569965555469.png

Got all my CS cannon fishing gear today. My plan is to use the treble hook and drag thru the pile and then come back with the 450lb magnet and see what I can bring up that way. With all the stuff that was dumped if I can bring up a musket barrel, an artillery shell or other items it will confirm I'm on the site without having to spend the money on a diver to confirm it.
DSCN2080.JPG

DSCN2084.JPG

This is exciting. I am hopeful for success but no matter what the result I am having vicarious goosebumps with each posting. Thank you sir. H

UCV, would something like this be helpful:

Aqua-Vu 715c Underwater Camera
The best-selling Aqua-Vu® 715c Underwater Camera system now includes the exclusive XD Camera Housing, a modular camera with Quick Attachment compatibility with an array of Aqua-Vu XD accessories (sold separately). The Full HD 1080p camera boasts Super Low light Vu Technology and the acclaimed Opti-RX Lab-Quality Lens with Auto Clear for outstanding presentations. The affordable Aqua-Vu 715c Underwater Camera with XD Camera Housing includes everything you need for instant underwater exploration: 7" color LCD with screen protector, color CMOS camera optics, adjustable infrared night/dark-water lighting, and 50' of cable. Imported.
  • Total Aqua-Vu underwater camera viewing system
  • 7" LCD with screen protector
  • Full HD 1080p camera
  • Super Low light Vu Technology
  • Opti-RX Lab-Quality Lens with Auto Clear technology
  • Modular XD Camera Housing with Quick Attachment accessory system
  • 50' of camera cable
  • 12V 7Ah battery
  • Smart battery charger
  • Custom soft carry bag
If it can see a fish it might be able to see a cannon..

Back