Confederate "R" buttons

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Rusk County Avengers

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Quick question, does anyone have any idea of how much use these "R" buttons saw? I've often heard and read of them being found in Virginia, but I'm curious if anyone else knows more. Perhaps someone can say where they dug them to narrow down provenance....

The most common Confederate button was without a doubt the US General service button, I'm just curious about the rifleman "R" buttons today.

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
The CS R buttons were early and 99.9% imported from England and intended for CS marksman or sharpshooters. When the blockade tighten up there weren't many more imported as there were other vital imports the South needed besides button. There are 2 areas they have been dug the most VA and SC as they were seacoast states with big ports.
1576113919470.png

1576113940794.png

Rusk County Avengers

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
You wouldn't happen to know if they were run into other ports would you? Galveston had a thriving trade with Britain into 1865, and I've seen some people spout off these buttons were all Trans-Mississippi. Something I've doubted as I've not seen or heard of them dug west of the Mississippi.

Rusk County Avengers

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Now I'm curious where the myth I've heard of "R" buttons in the Trans-Mississippi. "CSA" buttons, T. Miller's, Federals, we got those, but I've never seen "R" buttons.

It'd be neat if "R" buttons could be connected with Rifle regiments. There was plenty of those.