Confederate Graves

IMHO, he is one of the most underrated Generals in the CSA.

I agree.
The first Mississippi General that I became interested in was S. D. Lee---mainly because his MSU connection. Then I came across Walthall and was impressed by his actions. I began to think that this was typical for ALL generals. But I soon found out that wasn't the case.

Thanks for everyone's responses those were just some of the Officer's pictures I still have to get. I have been to a good many cemeteries already around the Southeastern US and even up in Maryland. Since most of these graves are on private property how is it best to get the names of the people who own the land where the graves are located. Since I am wanting to go out and take my own pictures of these graves for my book I am writing.
Make sure and let us know when you are done with your book, sounds like it would be interesting.

I agree.
The first Mississippi General that I became interested in was S. D. Lee---mainly because his MSU connection. Then I came across Walthall and was impressed by his actions. I began to think that this was typical for ALL generals. But I soon found out that wasn't the case.
General Walthall was an expert at fighting rear guard actions.
He "saved the day" more than once.

He began his military service as a First Lieutenant of Company H, Fifteenth Mississippi Regiment, but his aptitude soon led to promotion. By June of 1861, Walthall was a Lieutenant-Colonel and his cool skill holding the defensive line at the Battle of Mill Springs in Kentucky earned him a colonel's rank in the Twenty-Ninth Mississippi. By December 1862, Walthall had obtained the rank of Brigadier General and again held a defensive position at the Battle of Chickamauga that permitted a retreat in good order. At the Battle of Nashville, the talented officer commanded the division that prevented yet another disastrous withdrawal. Participating in all the major battles from Missionary Ridge to Atlanta, Walthall rose to the rank of Major-General by June 1864.

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/general_library/archives/finding_aids/MUM00462.html

@gentlemanrob we're not trying to highjack your thread, we just get distracted sometimes.:smoke:

his cool skill holding the defensive line at the Battle of Mill Springs in Kentucky earned him a colonel's rank in the Twenty-Ninth Mississippi. By December 1862, Walthall had obtained the rank of Brigadier General

My ancestor was in the 30 Mississippi. It was in the brigade with the 29th and the two eventually consolidated.

When it comes to Col. you are better off looking for the family finding a relative or the family gravesite you're talking about a lot of offices good luck.

Last week I visited General Matt Ransom and General Junius Daniel's graves. I was fascinated by the areas of where both are buried. I have been traveling a good bit in my off time from work. This past summer I went to General Pembertons grave in Philadelphia. Every time I have off work I work on the book. My hope is to try to get out to Mississippi and Memphis in the next year. Going to Alabama in a few weeks to work on some photos of Generals, statesmen and colonels buried in those areas. Still have a few Generala left in Virginia to photograph

I would not forget these Generals and a Governor buried in Missouri.

Bellefontaine Cemetery in St. Louis, Mo.
Major Gen. Sterling Price
Brig. Gen. Edwin Price
Lt. Gen. A. P. Stewart
Col. Emmett MacDonald
Col. Meriwether L. Clark
Col. William Wade
Col. John M. Wimer
Col. and Dr. Joseph N. McDowell
Col. Trusten Polk
Col. Hugh Garland
George G. Vest CSA Congressman and Senator
Thomas W. Freeman CSA Congressman
Thomas L. Snead CSA Congressman

Calvary Cemetery in St. Louis, M0.
Brig. Gen. Daniel M. Frost
Thomas Reynolds Confederate Gov. of Missouri 1862-65
William M. Cooke CSA Congressman

Oak Hill Cemetery in St. Louis, Mo.
Col. Solomon G. Kitchen

Last edited:
I am currently working on writing a book on Confederate Generals, Statesmen and Colonels. I am currently going around taking pictures of the graves. I have had a problem trying to locate a few graves. Some are in Virginia and one is in South Carolina. Any advice would be helpful.

I visited General Dunovant's grave about two years ago it was an interesting trip. Working on trying to get to General Chestnut's grave its been a challenge.

Good luck with your book! Are you still having difficulty with finding some of the graves? Local historical societies might be an excellent resource. :smile:

Back