Confederate camp area finds

Duane Pringle

Sergeant
20180103_174937.jpg
20180103_173134.jpg
20180103_173229.jpg
20180103_173207.jpg
These items were found in the vicinity of the confederate camp we have been digging at. Can you professionals out there tell us what they are, like the buttons are they civil war and union or confederate? The bullets are the only ones found like the 2 in picture in this battle so far a 58 and the other looks to be a 22 caliber is it possible its civil war? We have been digging alot of bullets but these are the only 2 like these. The last picture shows a wood bullet like item and 2 brass items.
20180103_173134.jpg
20180103_173229.jpg
20180103_173207.jpg

Last edited:
I am no expert but hers my opinions please all share your thoughts!!Photos of the back?

Frist button is it flat? Civilian? Most likely?
2nd looks like a New York State militia staff officers button federal
3rd is the winner!!! Script c Calvary confederate GREAT button
4 is same as number 2 only cuff
5 can’t really tell is it a button? Looks like has some flange or something around it behind it? But star could mean Texas Or Louisiana?
Deff definitely best is the 3 send some pics of the backs when you have time!!!!! Great job great finds!!

Nice Finds My Input.
First Photo ?
2nd Photo, buttons what are back marks?, 1st is a civilian, 2nd is a Union Staff officers button, 3rd (back-mark?) but I believe its a civilian monogram C and not a CS Cav button as there was not one made like this. 4th Union staff officers cuff and I need to see the back of the star piece.
3rd Photo, small bullet is very small need more photos and measurement but I believe post war civilian. On the 3 ringer (dimensions, base photo etc)
4th Photo, The pistol cartridge is unusual and compared to the finial appears to be 36 cal. (clean it up a little and lets see what it is) brass piece ? cartridge box finial is it brass or lead appears to be a Yankee one if brass.

Could it be a lead finial from a CS box?

With the threads on the end and not flat where it would have been flattened with rivet on the inside of the leather cartridge box I just just don't think so.

JR Guant & Son 1870

I don't know where or when the battle was fought but the 1st model Smith & Wesson was a .22 caliber and there were a few of them used in the Civil War. Of course it could also be some kid with his .22 out hunting in 1953. In any case, congratulations, great finds.

First picture is what I believe to be a carriage type finial, these were originally used for carriage tops etc, (screw into the wood or metal frame and stretch the top across and button) but were multi purposed as cartridge and cap box finials. The last picture also shows a finial that appears to be for a bayonet (extreme right)

So the C button will be after the war this battle was 1864.

Yep they went into business in 1870. Its what we call a monogram button for someone with a last name starting with a C.

J.R. Gaunt and Sons an English Company, which sold American insignia to include buttons from New York. They made some nice items, including fine sterling silver pieces. A nice collection @Duane Pringle, thanks for posting.

Back