Chickamauga Confederate Battle Flags at Chickamauga

nitrofd

Retired User
Dave Powell posted on his "Chickamauga Blog" a really interesting essay on the Battle Flags at Chickamauga including illustrations of each,very informative article.I am posting this link on my tablet and some of the time it doesn't work,so if it doesn't just paste the web addy into your browser.

HTTPS:/Chickamauga blog.wordpress.com/2016/04/23/flags-and-more-flags-a-confederate-odyssey/

Great article. Army of Tennessee battle flags are a fascinating subject, in my opinion.

To elaborate more on the distinctive variant of the Polk pattern carried by Deas' Alabama Brigade, these were adopted by the brigade after Withers' Division (Hindman's at Chickamauga) was placed in Polk's Corps in August, 1862. However, they may have not received these flags until some time in 1863, hence the Murfreesboro battle honor on the 22nd Alabama's. These were made out of silk when the other Polk pattern variant with stars and red cross were made out of bunting and cotton.

The 22nd Alabama Infantry's Polk pattern, which was captured by the 121st Ohio Infantry at Chickamauga on Horseshoe Ridge.
22nd_Alabama_Infantry_Confederate_Flag_Medium.jpg

A similar Polk pattern was issued or presented to Waters' Alabama Battery in 1863, and probably carried at Chickamauga.
watersbatteryflag.jpg

Thanks Nitro, Legion, and Aug for the above, I usually catch his blog each month but hadn't read this one yet, Mr. Powell always has something interesting to say about Chickamauga, I would really like to attend one of his study group outings someday.
Dave

I know some of you know where I can find a good reference work or two about battle flags
during the Civil War. I have Emblems Of Southern Valor by Jeffrey Crute but I would like
to find an good encyclopedic work that covers both sides of the conflict. Any suggestions?

I know some of you know where I can find a good reference work or two about battle flags
during the Civil War. I have Emblems Of Southern Valor by Jeffrey Crute but I would like
to find an good encyclopedic work that covers both sides of the conflict. Any suggestions?
"Flags of the Civil War" by Philip Katcher and Richard Scollins is a good one.

And for the Army of Tennessee in particular, "Battle Flags of the Confederate Army of Tennessee" by Howard Michael Madaus and Robert D. Needham (note that it is out of print and pretty hard to find a copy for a reasonable price.)

I just wanted to say as far as all of the battles go Chickamauga has got to be the most intense of all the battles I have read Chickamauga has the most movements by so many different groups at the same time it is amazing.

Back