Comparing different generals leadership styles.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I was wondering about different leadership styles among the various generals. Would it be fair to say generals Thomas and Lee where very hands on generals who cared a lot about their men's welfare and where good strategic planners? Was McCleen More of an administrator for the most part? I am thinking of generals has CEO's and what style of leadership vs 'who is the best or worse general" more a contrast of leadership styles.
Thanks
Leftyhunter

I was wondering about different leadership styles among the various generals. Would it be fair to say generals Thomas and Lee where very hands on generals who cared a lot about their men's welfare and where good strategic planners? Was McCleen More of an administrator for the most part? I am thinking of generals has CEO's and what style of leadership vs 'who is the best or worse general" more a contrast of leadership styles.
Thanks
Leftyhunter

Some say that McClellan cared a lot about his men's welfare so Im not clear on the contrast in the above examples.

A CEO is primarily responsible for profit; i.e., victories. How he get's there would be the subject of the OP.

A CEO must have the cooperation of all levels of subordinates, even down to the private. And he must select subordinates who are dedicated to perform as he wishes. It goes without saying that he must be right more often than wrong.

Good post leftyhunter, very interesting subject.
I will not contribute much but I hope there will be many comments and I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts.

From what I have read until now Lee just could not do anything wrong. His overwhelming charisma saved him from any serious criticism (including mine, I think) as far as his leadership is concerned.

Good post leftyhunter, very interesting subject.
I will not contribute much but I hope there will be many comments and I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts.

From what I have read until now Lee just could not do anything wrong. His overwhelming charisma saved him from any serious criticism (including mine, I think) as far as his leadership is concerned.
I would say that Lee had great leadership qualities his men loved him and fought very well for him. I don't know about not doing anything wrong no one is perfect. I would argue that one of Lee's leadership traits is a strong belief that a divine power will see him through a tough campaign. A good example is when he told his subordinate generals that the AnV will invade Pa and fight the enemy at a place and time of my own choosing". Or that's how I remember the quote. Nothing wrong with believing that God is on ones side unless he is not. Lee was by no means the first and very much not the last to believe so.
Leftyhunter

Back