Impressions Civilian Impression Question

DaveBrt

1st Lieutenant
Joined
Mar 6, 2010
Location
Charlotte, NC
I'd like to know what you folks think a junior professional would have worn on the job. Specifically, I'm looking for what a southern railroad superintendent would have worn while out on the tracks during the summer.
 
IMG_0945 (2).JPG This is my impression.
 
I would think items would be similar to other civilians of the period. Maybe a little more elaborate since your occupation is of a higher class than that of a laborer.

A pocket knife, a pocket watch and chain especially useful for making sure trains are on time. Watches are grossly under represented in the hobby. Maybe a belt or boot knife, and a single shot pistol or two, revolvers were expensive and still fairly new technology and would not have been owned by many low or middle class civilians. A book with time table in it for the trains, possibly inventory sheets for freight being unloaded on the docks, also teleghraph forms.

I hope my ramblings have given you some ideas.
 
What kind of single shot pistol?



I would think items would be similar to other civilians of the period. Maybe a little more elaborate since your occupation is of a higher class than that of a laborer.

A pocket knife, a pocket watch and chain especially useful for making sure trains are on time. Watches are grossly under represented in the hobby. Maybe a belt or boot knife, and a single shot pistol or two, revolvers were expensive and still fairly new technology and would not have been owned by many low or middle class civilians. A book with time table in it for the trains, possibly inventory sheets for freight being unloaded on the docks, also teleghraph forms.

I hope my ramblings have given you some ideas.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top