Civil war dioramas.

Waterloo50

Major
Silver Patron
C9CEC700-0609-4405-9D5C-839E050A13E3.jpeg

As the title says.
I was just looking at the thread ‘Add your Burnside Bridge’ and there’s a fantastic museum diorama. I absolutely love that sort of thing and I was wondering if any of our members have either made a civil war diorama or have photos of dioramas that they have made, perhaps we could include photos of dioramas that have been put together by museums and societies etc.

Regards Waterloo50.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Waterloo50

Major
Silver Patron
OMG! I am in LOVE with this! :inlove::inlove::inlove: As I said on the post I am almost done with my dollhouse and need to get downstairs and finish it. It's the figures I'm a bit behind on. I design, poor the mold etc. … I'm planning a third floor ballroom dance with a rotating dance floor. I will share when I'm done.
I copied the image from google but I’m sure there are more photos of the Artillery Ridge diorama, I’ll take a look to see if I can find more.
I’m looking forward to seeing the pics of your dollhouse, I occasionally build dioramas myself so I know how much work can go into those type of things.

Waterloo50

Major
Silver Patron
OMG! I am in LOVE with this! :inlove::inlove::inlove: As I said on the post I am almost done with my dollhouse and need to get downstairs and finish it. It's the figures I'm a bit behind on. I design, poor the mold etc. … I'm planning a third floor ballroom dance with a rotating dance floor. I will share when I'm done.
15BFEC92-158D-4C65-995D-D37097D01542.jpeg

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
View attachment 218753

As the title says.
I was just looking at the thread ‘Add your Burnside Bridge’ and there’s a fantastic museum diorama. I absolutely love that sort of thing and I was wondering if any of our members have either made a civil war diorama or have photos of dioramas that they have made, perhaps we could include photos of dioramas that have been put together by museums and societies etc.

Regards Waterloo50.
I want to do this for Cassville, Georgia. I just lack the skill. Please send any advice you have.

Waterloo50

Major
Silver Patron
I want to do this for Cassville, Georgia. I just lack the skill. Please send any advice you have.
You’ve already chosen the setting for your diorama, next you need to know what size/scale you want it to be. You’d need to have a baseboard to set your diorama on.
Here’s what I do,
1. Use plaster of Paris or filler to form the contours.
2.Paint the entire section with a Matt earth colour then use PVA glue diluted with water and a drop of washing up liquid to apply scatter materials.
3. Form buildings and structures out of plastic card or balsa wood.
You can also buy weathering powders to add dirt and grime to structures.
To be honest the best place to look for advice on modelling techniques is on YouTube, the best models are to be found in the model railroad vids. The techniques used for dioramas are exactly the same as model railroads.
There are plenty of companies on line and in model shops that stock the scatter materials.
Research is the key, get as many reference photos of your chosen site as you can.
Take a look at this vid and you’ll see what you need for a diorama.

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
You’ve already chosen the setting for your diorama, next you need to know what size/scale you want it to be. You’d need to have a baseboard to set your diorama on.
Here’s what I do,
1. Use plaster of Paris or filler to form the contours.
2.Paint the entire section with a Matt earth colour then use PVA glue diluted with water and a drop of washing up liquid to apply scatter materials.
3. Form buildings and structures out of plastic card or balsa wood.
You can also buy weathering powders to add dirt and grime to structures.
To be honest the best place to look for advice on modelling techniques is on YouTube, the best models are to be found in the model railroad vids. The techniques used for dioramas are exactly the same as model railroads.
There are plenty of companies on line and in model shops that stock the scatter materials.
Research is the key, get as many reference photos of your chosen site as you can.
Take a look at this vid and you’ll see what you need for a diorama.

http://www.scv670.org/Cassmap/cassmap.html

cassmap2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
AMAZING!!! One of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes was "Stopover in a Quiet Town" only I'm the alien child! Lot more people here to play with too! Night at the Museum truly amused me too! On the other hand I couldn't even finish watching "Downsizing"
I've been enamored by miniatures since I can remember and have always been drawn to anything like dollhouses, dioramas etc. Perhaps I'm just a closet control freak who loves controlling the little environment! :rofl:

Cavalry Charger

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron

Cavalry Charger

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
AMAZING!!! One of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes was "Stopover in a Quiet Town" only I'm the alien child! Lot more people here to play with too! Night at the Museum truly amused me too! On the other hand I couldn't even finish watching "Downsizing"
I've been enamored by miniatures since I can remember and have always been drawn to anything like dollhouses, dioramas etc. Perhaps I'm just a closet control freak who loves controlling the little environment! :rofl:
:rofl:

James N.

Major
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer