Civil war dioramas.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
It was my love of dioramas that got me interested in museum work. I served as curator of exhibits at the Missouri State Museum in Jefferson City, Missouri, where I created this diorama of the May 22, 1863, assault on Stockade Redan at Vicksburg. The Stockade Redan is shown in the left background with the Union assault column charging down the Graveyard Road. In the foreground is the redan later known as Green's Redan, named for Gen. Martin Green, 2nd Missouri Brigade, killed there on June 27. In a brother-against-brother situation, Missourians helped defend Stockade Redan and Green's Redan against Missourians in the attacking column. The Missouri Monument, honoring both sides, stands on the site of Green's Redan. The figures in the foreground are all approximately six inches tall. The terrain is based on photographs that I took there one winter.

IMG_0978 (copy 1).JPG

This diorama (also in the State Museum) depicts the skirmish at Island Mound, Bates County, Missouri, Oct. 29, 1862. A scouting party from the 1st Kansas Colored Infantry was attacked by a superior force of mounted Confederates. Charging through the smoke of prairie fires, the Confederates fought hand-to-hand with the Kansans until driven off by reinforcements from their regiment. The skirmish was significant as the first time during the war that African Americans proved themselves in combat. The 1st Kansas Colored was actually raised before the Emancipation Proclamation by Kansas senator James Lane, a man who tended to do things his own way in spite of government disapproval. In this diorama the figures are only 54mm tall.

?hash=dc0dc0af12f7af0ab3fb93b259aac2ef.jpg

IMG_0976 (copy 1).JPG

Waterloo50

Major
Silver Patron
It was my love of dioramas that got me interested in museum work. I served as curator of exhibits at the Missouri State Museum in Jefferson City, Missouri, where I created this diorama of the May 22, 1863, assault on Stockade Redan at Vicksburg. The Stockade Redan is shown in the left background with the Union assault column charging down the Graveyard Road. In the foreground is the redan later known as Green's Redan, named for Gen. Martin Green, 2nd Missouri Brigade, killed there on June 27. In a brother-against-brother situation, Missourians helped defend Stockade Redan and Green's Redan against Missourians in the attacking column. The Missouri Monument, honoring both sides, stands on the site of Green's Redan. The figures in the foreground are all approximately six inches tall. The terrain is based on photographs that I took there one winter.

View attachment 225322

This diorama (also in the State Museum) depicts the skirmish at Island Mound, Bates County, Missouri, Oct. 29, 1862. A scouting party from the 1st Kansas Colored Infantry was attacked by a superior force of mounted Confederates. Charging through the smoke of prairie fires, the Confederates fought hand-to-hand with the Kansans until driven off by reinforcements from their regiment. The skirmish was significant as the first time during the war that African Americans proved themselves in combat. The 1st Kansas Colored was actually raised before the Emancipation Proclamation by Kansas senator James Lane, a man who tended to do things his own way in spite of government disapproval. In this diorama the figures are only 54mm tall.

View attachment 225324

View attachment 225323
Fantastic dioramas, really detailed. Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

Waterloo50

Major
Silver Patron
yes, all too much cool, so driven by the curiosity i'm checking for price of a miniature and .. do i have to pay this amount ? http://www.firstlegionltd.com/confederateartillery.aspx
a battery would cost me about 500$ ... crazies !! i've to be a milioner to make a scenario !! i didn't expect these amounts ... :frown:
You get what you pay for, if you want figures that are already hand painted then it’s going to cost some serious money, some of the best dioramas that I’ve seen use 1:72 scale, you have to paint them yourself but that’s a big part of creating a diorama, also 1:72 scale is reasonably cheap to buy.:thumbsup:

Something like this in 1:72 is a great way to get started.
10127942-81BB-412F-A235-0BC43C493CEA.jpeg

If you want pre-painted check out Britains . First Legion is very well done but very expensive . I have some Britains but usually paint my own, 1/24th (75mm) and larger now . To start , go with what Waterloo50 says . Inexpensive and a great starting point .

The 5th NY ( Gaines Mill ) that I posted was an unpainted limited edition by a company called Time Machine . I'm sure they are now out of business. It sat around for years until I finished it for one of my late father's doctors who was a collector .