Chocolate Mint Pudding

512px-Chocolate_pudding_with_a_butterfly.jpg
Chocolate pudding with a butterfly
E4024 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Our Victorian friends were enjoying chocolate mints long before they became popular candy confections. Mint was often added to chocolate pudding during the early to mid-19th century to create a unique, refreshing, minty flavor. This recipe is adapted from The Cook's Oracle by William Kitchiner published in 1830.

Chocolate Mint Pudding

Ingredients:
3 cups fat-free milk
1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves (about 1/2 ounce)
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped Mint sprigs (optional)

Directions:
Heat milk over medium-high heat in a small, heavy saucepan to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil).

Remove from heat; add mint. Let stand 15 minutes; strain milk mixture through a sieve into a bowl, reserving milk. Discard solids.

Return milk to pan; stir in sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt. Return pan to medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk until mixture thickens.

Place egg yolks in a medium bowl; gradually add half of hot milk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk.

Add egg mixture to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thick.

Remove from heat; add vanilla and chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts.

Pour pudding into a bowl; cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap.

Chill and garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Our Victorian friends were enjoying chocolate mints long before they became popular candy confections. Mint was often added to chocolate pudding during the early to mid-19th century to create a unique, refreshing, minty flavor. This recipe is adapted from The Cook's Oracle by William Kitchiner published in 1830.

Chocolate Mint Pudding

Ingredients:
3 cups fat-free milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Heat milk over medium-high heat in a small, heavy saucepan to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil).

Remove from heat; add mint. Let stand 15 minutes; strain milk mixture through a sieve into a bowl, reserving milk. Discard solids.

Return milk to pan; stir in sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt. Return pan to medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk until mixture thickens.

Place egg yolks in a medium bowl; gradually add half of hot milk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk.

Add egg mixture to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thick.

Yum!

Ellie. Once again another excellent award winning recipe. Don't you get tired of producing award winning recipes all of the time? I certainly do not get tired of producing them in my kitchen. I appreciate the efforts of all of the foodies on this forum, but more especially my great friends, Eleanor and Donna. Your old recipes certainly bring back a lot of great childhood memories. Thanks to you both. David.

Chocolate Mint Pudding

Ingredients:
3 cups fat-free milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Yum! Peppermint patty pudding!

I once greatly disappointed two little boys because of this! We were having a community dinner--and I was in charge of dessert. I phoned the woman at whose house we were meeting with a question: if I brought a chocolate mousse, would she have room in her refrigerator? Her sons, who were on the extension listening in, expected that I would show up leading a huge, antlered animal that was made of chocolate. When I arrived with a covered bowl, one exclaimed to the other, "Why it's nothing but a mess of pudding!". :hungry:

Back