Chicago Civil War?

Camp Douglas was one of the primary POW camps and it was located within south side. Nothing remains of it but there is a historical marker.
But an awful lot of prisoners died there and you can visit where they were buried. It's called "Confederate mound" and is in Oak Woods Cemetery. It is estimated between four thousand and six thousand southerners are interred there. They were exhumed from their original burial spot when the land was chosen to be a part of the new Lincoln Park and I guess it seemed unseemly to have Confederates buried within it. I don't guess naming the park after R.E. Lee was an option.

If you do go to Oak Woods, there are some other famous folk buried there: Tommy Dorsey the big ban musician, Cap Anson the early baseball star, Enrico Fermi the physicist and many others.

I'm visiting Chicago in August for a work/personal trip and was wondering what CW related places/things I could see. I want to see the Abraham Lincoln Bookshop Anything else?
Make sure you do....it is awesome!

When are you going? I'll be there at some point in the middle of the month helping my daughter move.

Back