1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Cemetery Gatehouse T&N

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Gettysburg Greg, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

gate2.jpg
    The first photo of the Cemetery Gatehouse below was recorded in mid July of 1863 and shows a great deal of damage inflicted during the battle. Besides the obvious blown out windows, you might notice a distinct shell impact just to the right of the left wreath. This may be the result of a strike from one of Major Latimer's guns on Benner's Hill. There are two posers in Brady's photograph, the duster wearing photographic assistant in front and the soldier with the rifle and bayonet to the rear. I will include an interesting close up of the soldier who appears to be striking a pose for Brady's camera. You may notice the doorway and porch on the inside of the left half of the structure that has been bricked over in the modern image. As you see in my modern view, the view is still very similar other than the attached caretaker's house.

cem gate gsv.jpg

bu final.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. infomanpa

infomanpa Sergeant

Nice. You can also notice on the left that there are graves where there weren't any in 1863.

4. mofederal

mofederal First Sergeant

Nice image and picture Greg! They are great as always.

Gettysburg Greg likes this.
  5. Seduzal

Seduzal 2nd Lieutenant

If you blow up the 1863 photo you can see grave markers and other small headstones.

2/241 likes this.
  6. alexjack

alexjack 2nd Lieutenant

Were gatehouses like this the norm for small? towns like Gettysburg in the mid 1800s ? Would a 'cemetery attendant' have lived there?

Cavalry Charger likes this.
  7. Irishtom29

Irishtom29 Sergeant

Whenever I see that photo I'm surprised there are any windows left at all in the building.

If the soldier is from the 11th Corps I reckon a year later he'd be wearing a hat. Funny how well those fellas performed out west. Change of scenery, comrades and command did them a world of good. Why even old Uh Oh Howard did well enough to gain Uncle Billy's confidence and command the Army of the Tennessee. Who'da thought?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)