Cannon or Mortar?

Snipeen1

Cadet
Hello everyone, thank you for the welcome. I am looking for a forum or someone that can help me with some research. I have received this cannonball as something passed down to me when my dad passed away last month. I have started on some research and based on the 9 inch diameter I think it might be a Dahlgren, not sure. The wall thickness is about 1 13/16 thick and as you see it has two holes that oppose each other for what I believe are for a lifting hook unit similar to what is used for hay bales. I have not weighed it yet but estimate it to be at least 100 to 125 pounds. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Cannonball.jpg

It could be a 13 inch seacoast mortar shell. I found a picture of one for comparison.

View attachment 387436
Can you measure the the diameter of the shell?
That would determine the caliber.

The two opposing holes are indeed for tongs (somewhat resembling ice tongs). This indicates that the shell is too heavy for one man to comfortably lift. Shells as "small" as eight inches sometimes have these.

If I had to guess I would say 10 inches. But maybe 9, possibly 11.

A 13 inch mortar shell weighs around 220 pounds.

Can you measure the the diameter of the shell?
That would determine the caliber.

The two opposing holes are indeed for tongs (somewhat resembling ice tongs). This indicates that the shell is too heavy for one man to comfortably lift. Shells as "small" as eight inches sometimes have these.

If I had to guess I would say 10 inches. But maybe 9, possibly 11.

A 13 inch mortar shell weighs around 220 pounds.
I can measure and get a more exact diameter. i will let you know.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. More info will tell just what fired it as mortars as well as big guns had the lifting ears. From the size of the milk crate which is 13 x 13. I'm leaning 10 inch as the 9 and 11 inch didn't have lifting ears.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. More info will tell just what fired it as mortars as well as big guns had the lifting ears. From the size of the milk crate which is 13 x 13. I'm leaning 10 inch as the 9 and 11 inch didn't have lifting ears.
Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to weigh it as well as that might be helpful. i was thinking about trying to clean it up. what do you recommend? would there be anything engraved in it?

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to weigh it as well as that might be helpful. i was thinking about trying to clean it up. what do you recommend? would there be anything engraved in it?
Leave it as found as it doesn't apear to have any rust. There may be a letter stamped on it but not always. Be sure to measure the fuse hole opening.

Leave it as found as it doesn't apear to have any rust. There may be a letter stamped on it but not always. Be sure to measure the fuse hole opening.
Okay, will do. do you think there is a place where one can buy the lifting hooks to go with it? I will update after i weigh it and measure the fuse hole. your help is greatly appreciated. would this being something confederate or union, or did both sides use similar ones?

Both sides had them and the fuse hole will give a clue. Good luck finding original tongs

Back