What is this? Cannon at courthouse.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Visited a courthouse so what kind of cannon do we have here? I can look it up when I get home.
20210401_144701.jpg

I was not sure what it was. After an hour in a quilt shop with my wife I decided that driving two blocks to the courthouse to look over a couple of cannon sounded like more fun than an additional hour at the quilt shop. I knew what this cannon was, but if anyone wants to tell other forum members what is is they can.
20210401_173601.jpg

My wife enjoys going out to breakfast or lunch then driving to some town to look over cute little quilt shops so I keep this book in our car.
mcw.jpg

Because Michigan does not have any Civil War battlefields the state is rather short on Civil War sites. This allows me to know if there are any Civil War related sites near the towns we are having breakfast or lunch at during our quilt excursions. Right now most of the small museums are not open but I do get to see some of the cannons and monuments. Most of the cannons are on the common side but there is an example of the only known surviving cannon of one type of cannon. Some of the monuments are interesting.

My wife enjoys going out to breakfast or lunch then driving to some town to look over cute little quilt shops so I keep this book in our car.
View attachment 396209

Because Michigan does not have any Civil War battlefields the state is rather short on Civil War sites. This allows me to know if there are any Civil War related sites near the towns we are having breakfast or lunch at during our quilt excursions. Right now most of the small museums are not open but I do get to see some of the cannons and monuments. Most of the cannons are on the common side but there is an example of the only known surviving cannon of one type of cannon. Some of the monuments are interesting.
Cmon down to Monroe, Sir. We have several monuments, and I shall see if we can get into the Custer house. My friend, Custer reenactor Steve Alexander lives in the actual Custer home. He literally lives in a museum. Of course, we have the regular museum, Soldiers and Sailors park with a memorial honoring all the Civil War's casualties from Monroe County and all th Medal of Honor winners. Special monuments to the Custer's. We have Michigan's oldest cemetery with veterans from every war. The Custer Family Plot is there as well, although Autie and Tom are not there. We have plenty of buildings related to the Custer's which Steve has taught me how to guide. Let me know and Lord willing, we could set up a pleasant Custer day. My kinda day!

I was not sure what it was. After an hour in a quilt shop with my wife I decided that driving two blocks to the courthouse to look over a couple of cannon sounded like more fun than an additional hour at the quilt shop. I knew what this cannon was, but if anyone wants to tell other forum members what is is they can.
View attachment 396207

Well, that's no fun--- it tells you right on the trunnion! "R.P.P." is a dead giveaway! :laugh:

Cmon down to Monroe, Sir. We have several monuments, and I shall see if we can get into the Custer house. My friend, Custer reenactor Steve Alexander lives in the actual Custer home. He literally lives in a museum. Of course, we have the regular museum, Soldiers and Sailors park with a memorial honoring all the Civil War's casualties from Monroe County and all th Medal of Honor winners. Special monuments to the Custer's. We have Michigan's oldest cemetery with veterans from every war. The Custer Family Plot is there as well, although Autie and Tom are not there. We have plenty of buildings related to the Custer's which Steve has taught me how to guide. Let me know and Lord willing, we could set up a pleasant Custer day. My kinda day!
Even if you eat there, do not miss the McDonalds with the Blues Brothers theme.
Complete with life size (or a little larger) Jake and Elwood.

Even if you eat there, do not miss the McDonalds with the Blues Brothers theme.
Complete with life size (or a little larger) Jake and Elwood.
There is a bar and grill called McGeady's. It is the place where Custer got his last drunk on in 1861. Half sister Lydia Ann witnessed to him and she must have truly sparked the Holy Spirit. He never drank again. Anyways, the bricks inside are reputed to be real. It was a different name then...and next door is Martins shoes and Boots. Now that was called that in Custer's day. They even have a signed receipt for boots he bought while on leave. And the Gettysburg Custer tribute, "Sighting the Enemy" is still up but it is under attack.

I have been wanting to see the the Monroe County Historical Museum again as well as the Raisin River Battle Field. Do you know if either of these has reopened? I might be convinced to drive down to Monroe. I do think it would be a pleasant day.

I have been wanting to see the the Monroe County Historical Museum again as well as the Raisin River Battle Field. Do you know if either of these has reopened? I might be convinced to drive down to Monroe.
Major Bill, I will follow up with a phone call on that. I will not be home until Tuesday, but I need to drop The General a line anyways. I will find out for you.

They may not be there, but younger brother Boston and cousin Autie Reed are:

1618250542293.png

It was our kinda day too:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/george-and-libbie-custers-monroe-michigan.100034/

1618250721980.png

Back