Can anyone ID this uniform?

OVI

Private
Hello all,

This is my 2nd great uncle Walter Fabius Maximus Mooring. He was in the 44th Virginia infantry co. H and was captured at Gettysburg. He finished out the war as a prisoner in Chicago. Did Amelia have a military school or something? Thank you for looking.

40f92baf-f48f-4732-924b-63f576924b88.jpg

Looking real close at that hat badge it almost looks like it could be a H, being he was in Co H they may have used their militia uniforms at the start of the war. The 44th was an early unit organized in June 61. Either way it's a great image of your uncle, a fantastic treasure. Thanks for sharing it.

Without doing any research, he is wearing a prewar militia uniform with a "B" on his shake. This designator might be for Company B, 44th Virginia. The Byrd Rifles.

https://ranger95.com/civil_war/virginia/infantry/44inf_rgt/44th_inf_regt_roster_b.html

View attachment 210921

Great website Legion Para. He and his Father are listed as Co. H on that roster. Heres a pic of his Daddy, My GG Grandady William Wyatt Moring. Doesn't look like a privates uniform to me but who knows. It says he was discharged in 61 cause he was too old. Not sure about that one either.
808670f1-e53d-42f1-8a3f-e74c7718aaf2.jpg

Hello all,

This is my 2nd great uncle Walter Fabius Maximus Mooring. He was in the 44th Virginia infantry co. H and was captured at Gettysburg. He finished out the war as a prisoner in Chicago. Did Amelia have a military school or something? Thank you for looking.

View attachment 210906

Great name, Fabius Maximus! I have no idea about the uniform, would guess a pre-war militia or military school of some sort. I'm curious about what he's holding, though. At first, I thought it was a musician's mace. It might be, or it could be an artillery implement. Hard to tell. Do you know if he was a musician?

Great name, Fabius Maximus! I have no idea about the uniform, would guess a pre-war militia or military school of some sort. I'm curious about what he's holding, though. At first, I thought it was a musician's mace. It might be, or it could be an artillery implement. Hard to tell. Do you know if he was a musician?

I do not Claude. It almost looks like a Blunderbuss!

Great website Legion Para. He and his Father are listed as Co. H on that roster. Heres a pic of his Daddy, My GG Grandady William Wyatt Moring. Doesn't look like a privates uniform to me but who knows. It says he was discharged in 61 cause he was too old. Not sure about that one either.
View attachment 210934

William Wyatt Moring
Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 6/8/1861 at Amelia Court House, VA as a Private.

On 6/8/1861 he mustered into "H" Co. VA 44th Infantry
He was discharged for disability on 9/14/1861
(Discharged for poor health)

He was listed as:
* Absent, sick 7/15/1861 Staunton, VA
* Turned in weapon 12/12/1861 Staunton, VA (And equipment)
Other Information:
born in 1818 in Prince Edward County, VA
died in 1891
Buried: Richmond, VA

William Wyatt Moring

He was discharged for disability on 9/14/1861
(Discharged for poor health)

He was listed as:
* Absent, sick 7/15/1861 Staunton, VA
* Turned in weapon 12/12/1861 Staunton, VA (And equipment)
Other Information:
born in 1818 in Prince Edward County, VA
died in 1891
Buried: Richmond, VA

Great info Package4! May I know the sorce so I can put in in my ancestry file?

Thanks

View attachment 210934
The coat in the picture is most likely a militia frock and the shoulder bars are actually for epaulettes, depending upon unit, many militia wore epaulettes, with the enlisted being of worsted and cotton, while officers had bullion.
Hello all,

View attachment 210906

Walter Fabius Maximus Moring

(date and method of discharge not given)

He was listed as:
* On rolls 7/15/1861 (place not stated)
* Absent, sick 3/15/1862 Staunton & Amelia, VA Hospls
* Detailed 8/5/1862 (place not stated) (With Gnl Ewell's headquarters)
* Returned 9/15/1863 (place not stated)
* Detailed 4/15/1864 (place not stated) (As clerk in Gnl Jones Brgd headquarters)
* POW 7/8/1864 Harper's Ferry, WV
* Confined 7/20/1864 Old Capitol Prison, Washington, DC
* Arrived 7/23/1864 Elmira, NY (Arrived for exchange)
* Exchanged 3/10/1865 (place not stated)
* POW 4/5/1865 Amelia Court House, VA
* Confined 4/7/1865 City Point, VA
* Transferred 4/13/1865 Point Lookout, MD
* Oath Allegiance 6/15/1865 (place not stated) (Released)

Promotions:
* Corpl 12/12/1861

Other Information:
born 9/14/1842 in Dennisville, Amelia County, VA
died 6/16/1887 in Chicago, IL

(Son of William W. Postwar wood and coal merchant, Baltimore,
MD and Chicago, IL. Buried Oak Woods Cemetery,
Chicago, IL)

The coat in the picture is most likely a militia frock and the shoulder bars are actually for epaulettes, depending upon unit, many militia wore epaulettes, with the enlisted being of worsted and cotton, while officers had bullion.

Walter Fabius Maximus Moring

(date and method of discharge not given)

He was listed as:
* On rolls 7/15/1861 (place not stated)
* Absent, sick 3/15/1862 Staunton & Amelia, VA Hospls
* Detailed 8/5/1862 (place not stated) (With Gnl Ewell's headquarters)
* Returned 9/15/1863 (place not stated)
* Detailed 4/15/1864 (place not stated) (As clerk in Gnl Jones Brgd headquarters)
* POW 7/8/1864 Harper's Ferry, WV
* Confined 7/20/1864 Old Capitol Prison, Washington, DC
* Arrived 7/23/1864 Elmira, NY (Arrived for exchange)
* Exchanged 3/10/1865 (place not stated)
* POW 4/5/1865 Amelia Court House, VA
* Confined 4/7/1865 City Point, VA
* Transferred 4/13/1865 Point Lookout, MD
* Oath Allegiance 6/15/1865 (place not stated) (Released)

Promotions:
* Corpl 12/12/1861

Other Information:
born 9/14/1842 in Dennisville, Amelia County, VA
died 6/16/1887 in Chicago, IL

(Son of William W. Postwar wood and coal merchant, Baltimore,
MD and Chicago, IL. Buried Oak Woods Cemetery,
Chicago, IL)
There is even more information on him on Fold3, unfortunately it does not appear as though he was captured at Gettysburg, though there is no doubt that he was there, most likely as a clerk/courier with Ewell's HQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one of his journal entries;

A Confederate Soldier

He lived in Dennisville in Amelia County, VA.

While camped near Orange Court House he mentions in his diary of visits from married women and their daughters from home. Old friends were always passing by. When the neighbors from home came by they would bring things from his mother, like "eatables", letters and books.
He was on leave in March 1864 and wrote:
"Wednesday, March 2nd. Went to a grand ball at the Amelia Springs given by the people of Amelia to the Amelia Troop. I only danced one set with Miss Alice Worsham. Was engaged to dance another
with Miss Vaughan but the dance broke up before the set came around. The dancing continued all night."
Sept. 24th 1863 at Orange Court House:
"Slept a little cold. Foggy. Yankee Pickets in full view of us. Talk to them nearly all the time. Charley Carr traded a newspaper to one for sugar and coffee. One of our men waded across the river and made the exchange on the other bank. Two Yankees came down and took a seat on the other bank; we had a long talk. In the afternoon an officer came down and exchanged papers with us. He did not stay long."

Back