History Caffeinating the Union Army

I read where some of the soldiers would chew their ration of coffee beans when time wouldn't allow for the brewing. To anyone who ever bit into a coffee bean, they must have really wanted that morning caffeine.
General Butler knew what he was about--coffee is a stimulant. However, caffeine is addictive--and I'd sooner chew on a coffee bean than go into battle with a migraine!
 
I read where some of the soldiers would chew their ration of coffee beans when time wouldn't allow for the brewing. To anyone who ever bit into a coffee bean, they must have really wanted that morning caffeine.
I've chrwed the beans before they're an acquired taste that I cannot acquire a taste for. But I always heard they chewed the grounds.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top