C & C Sutler ???

Cavalrykyle

Private
I have new (very cash strapped) recruits. C & C Sutler has uniform package deals that start at around $250 and go up from there. Jean wool options, trimming options...etc, etc, etc. Has anyone purchased from them ? And if so, what is the quality like ? We look for used gear all the time...but need a decent source for recruits to obtain "cheaper" starter sets. So if anyone has used C & C Sutler, please let me know. Thanks.

I have new (very cash strapped) recruits. C & C Sutler has uniform package deals that start at around $250 and go up from there. Jean wool options, trimming options...etc, etc, etc. Has anyone purchased from them ? And if so, what is the quality like ? We look for used gear all the time...but need a decent source for recruits to obtain "cheaper" starter sets. So if anyone has used C & C Sutler, please let me know. Thanks.
I've heard some bad & some good. I know good things of Regimental QM. I know James Country is in your neck of the woods but I haven't dealt with them in several years. Another option is Stoney Brook & their outstanding consignment page.

Good luck.

I own stuff from them and would recommend them to a beginner or cash strapped reenactor. They have good customer service. You won't get museum quality gear, but you will get 3-5 years of mainstream reenacting out of the package deal.

I haven't bought anything from them personally but some of the guys in my bunch have and have been happy with them. Our captain likes them and usually recommends them to new recruits just starting out to get them going.

My wife started reenacting this year. She is doing civilian and military as a Chaplin. C&C was one of the few places she could get the black frock coat and pants. As they were not stocked items, they were made to order. Fit and quality was good. We were quite satisfied.

I've not used C&C, but when buying inexpensive but durable jeanwool Reb trousers for a couple of high school recruits to our outfit--neither of whom had a dad at home--I bought from Blockade Runner and was pleased.

I used Blockade Runner and Fall Creek in the past and can attest to their "Passable" quality, although I will say when I showed up to an event one of the guys immediately asked me "Is that from Blockade Runner?"

I bought my brogans from C&C. They were delivered just fine, are a little big but thick wool socks they are just fine. I'd recommend them.

The unit I fall in with suggests C&C for starting. I bought my traps from them, and cannot complain. Held up well after a year, and even did very will at the Wauhatchie Campaigner event in Tennessee in October. (Wethautchie) Most of my equipage comes from Regimental QM. The Pants, and Frock come from them. My brogans are Fugawee and I love them. If one thing the Navy has taught me: Don't go cheap on footwear.

We use C&C Uniforms for loaner gear with new recruits. Quality is comparable to other main stream sutlers, and is a good way to go to start.

I bought the C&C Union budget package. They definitely worked for me as a beginner. The pants were much lighter in weight than the more authentic ones I later obtained from Wambaugh and White. But they were comfortable, particularly when it was a hot day. But then at Cedar Creek, the butt crack split wide open. Thankfully, it was not super noticeable. Most of that gear has now been relegated, as when looking at them alongside my better quality gear, you can notice it for sure. But I can't complain about their stuff.

I ended up buckling and picking up the overstock size 40 shell jacket. It is unbelievably soft and actually **** comfortable. I haven't worn a shell jacket in years so I gotta get used to the cut again.

7HPBWQz.jpg

My wife and I have purchased from C & C and we are happy with her blouse and I with my budget Union Uniform. I have worn it at least a dozen times in the past seven months and have no issues what so ever.

I'm just very happy you have new recruits! :wink:

The unit I fall in with suggests C&C for starting. I bought my traps from them, and cannot complain. Held up well after a year, and even did very will at the Wauhatchie Campaigner event in Tennessee in October. (Wethautchie) Most of my equipage comes from Regimental QM. The Pants, and Frock come from them. My brogans are Fugawee and I love them. If one thing the Navy has taught me: Don't go cheap on footwear.

We use C&C Uniforms for loaner gear with new recruits. Quality is comparable to other main stream sutlers, and is a good way to go to start.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. It's an expensive hobby. We need a place for our teenage recruits to start. Much appreciated.

I ended up buckling and picking up the overstock size 40 shell jacket. It is unbelievably soft and actually **** comfortable. I haven't worn a shell jacket in years so I gotta get used to the cut again.

7HPBWQz.jpg

Thanks for the picture and input. It's hard to get recruits involved...then they see the cost and run away. We have a lot of loaner gear, but I can't keep providing uniforms and equipment for everyone. Appreciate the input.

I'd really like to see folk set their "authentic history" sights, up a few more notches!

Kevin Dally

We purchase used uniforms and equipment all the time. Our loaner gear is stretched to the breaking point. We have recruits that are teenagers and they need a place to start. Getting recruits started is the hard part, getting them to improve their impression and gear as they grow in the hobby isn't so hard. Thanks for the input.

One thing I have seen mentioned several times here are budget uniforms. You do get what you pay for. Don't expect them to be as accurate or hold up. However, I do think they are a good idea. Getting started is expensive. some items you just can't save money on - such as tents, weapons, etc. ( I still have not purchased a weapon - last I checked a 6-pdr ready to go, but without trailer, was $25,000 :smile: ) At least with the budget uniforms it can ease the cost of getting started, then gradually move up to the better quality and spread out the cost a little. New members are getting few and far between now. I rejoined our battery after being out about 14 years - It was nice to be greeted by old friends, but that's about all there were. At one point we could man 4 guns, now we are pushing it to man 2. Anything that makes it a little easier for new recruits will be a big help. And I don't think there is too much of a problem getting them to upgrade their uniforms later. Just being around the rest of us, they will see the difference and want to upgrade when they are able to.

Generally, having your unit purchase a few sets of Uniforms/Traps from C&C and the like is a great idea. After the event is over, they just turn the kit in. As time progresses and they buy piece by piece, the less they will have to borrow. Spending $500.00 for full kit for loaner (Minus rifle, of course) is decent for any Unit to do and not too burdensome on the company treasury.

My very first event, I wore full loaner gear from C&C and it served its purpose. No "Stitch Nazi's" gave me flack nor did any of the veteran members. They were just happy to see a new face in the hobby and show me the ropes. Since then, I've pretty much bought everything I need for a full impression. I'm just short of having a Shelter Half, Great Coat, and an extra gum blanket. Depending on their income, it is best to save money and borrow kit until they have enough to buy quality gear. Only two items out of my kit are not "Campaigner" Quality so to speak, which is my Frock and Trousers, but even at a Campaigner Event, I was not belittled or anything of the sort. (Which, I know many people fear).

My unit has these three things as "Must Get" first: Hat, Blouse, Footwear. Then build from there slowly but surely.

We all know it is an expensive hobby to start, but once you have everything (Generally 1-3 years to acquire everything), then the only thing you will spend is on Powder, Caps, and unit fees.

(Sorry if this is a bit winded, but I know any advice and tips will help)

Back