Restricted British Intervention

MikeyB

Sergeant
I would imagine that aside from Britain not wanting to fight on behalf of slavery, there must have been other political and economics considerations to not intervening that had weight such as:
1) Threat to Canada
2) Impact on trade with USA
3) War weary? Continent always engaged in warfare, most recently in the Crimea. Will the people really tolerate another war?
4) Have no idea what government finances were in this era, but this must always be a consideration?
5) Isn't my big rival France, and contemporary global power is largely a balance between us and them? So do I want to waste resources and blood on something that doesn't involve that balance (I'm guessing on this one, I have no idea if its true)?

So my question is: Had the CSA abolished the institution of slavery from the outset and removed the main historical objection (as Tom Berenger said, "We should have freed the slaves, THEN fired on Fort Sumter"), were there enough other objections that still would have kept the British out of the war? Perhaps more cynically asked, was the justification of moral high ground of slavery providing cover for other more practical (and less noble) reasons?

Back