Impressions Blanket material question

Lampson01

Cadet
Hey guys,
Quick question about blankets used during the war especially on the confederate side. I would like add another blanket to my kit. I would like to make it and am sure I can sew the edges and whatnot. My question is what type of wool would be best? What would be the best weight? I'm sure whatever material I purchase will have to be ordered. Anyone know a good place to look for material at a fair price. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

-Kevin

Hey guys,
Quick question about blankets used during the war especially on the confederate side. I would like add another blanket to my kit. I would like to make it and am sure I can sew the edges and whatnot. My question is what type of wool would be best? What would be the best weight? I'm sure whatever material I purchase will have to be ordered. Anyone know a good place to look for material at a fair price. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

-Kevin
Don’t laugh now, but what you want is “blanket weight wool” Seriously. It’s heavy and very durable, provided you don’t have any moths hanging around your storage places. Hmm, I know you can get wool from the Woolrich or Pendleton sites. Just use the search engine. Fabric is sold by the yard, and expect to pay 20 plus dollar a yard. If I were you? I’d go to your local thrift shop and look for wool there. Maybe even army surplus? I have found all sorts of great things at thrift stores.

There are places that sell blanket weight wool. The most important thing is that it is 100% wool, no mix of any kind. I used to get mine from the Gohn Brothers. They sell to the Amish, and they used to sell better fabrics. Now I think they are high, and the wool is a mix. It wasn't that way when I was reenacting.

There are places that sell blanket weight wool. The most important thing is that it is 100% wool, no mix of any kind. I used to get mine from the Gohn Brothers. They sell to the Amish, and they used to sell better fabrics. Now I think they are high, and the wool is a mix. It wasn't that way when I was reenacting.
Wool blends, the bane of my existance...as well as cotton blends. So very hard to find cotton in reasonable width material.

Back