Black Confederates...Again

One thing about the OP references that strikes me is why are they all from the Union side? Were CSA references not included by some choice, or did you just not find any?

No desire to join the discussion, been there done that. Just adding content to the thread for it's benefit.

War of the Rebellion: Serial 016 Page 0749 Chapter XXIV. CAMPAIGN IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA.

On the 31st the brigade accompanied General Stuart on a scout to Chantilly, picking up 200 or 300 prisoners. A portion of the Twelfth, under Lieutenant-Colonel [R. H.] Burks, captured one company of the Tenth New York Cavalry without firing a gun.
On the evening of September 1, while our troops were engaged on the Ox road, near Germantown, my regiment was ordered to Leesburg to capture Means and his party.
About 11 a. m. the next day I arrived at Leesburg. Learning that Means was in the town, I cut across from the Dranesville pike and entered the town by the Edwards Ferry road. I succeeded in surprising Means' party, Means himself escaping. He was supported by Major Cole, of Maryland, with about 200 men, on the Point of Rocks road. Without halting in the town I pressed heavily upon him, and soon succeeded in routing his command after a heavy skirmish, and pursued them as far as Waterford, 7 miles. My command amounted to 163 men, about 40 of which number, including Captain Dickinson and Lieutenants [W. R.] Beale and [A. D.] Warwick, did not join in the charge from some cause not yet explained. Had they followed their comrades in this bold charge I do not think a dozen of the whole Yankee command would have escaped being either killed or captured. As it was, we killed 11, wounded 9 too badly to be sent away, besides some 10 or 11 who escaped badly wounded, and sent off 47 prisoners, including 2 captains and 3 lieutenants.
In this charge Lieutenant J. O. Davis, of Company E, was killed while gallantly leading the advance of his company. Lieutenant John O. Lasley, of Company K, had his arm fractured by a rifle-ball, Sergt. Charles Spears, Company C, was killed. Private N. McGhee, Captain Dearing, of Company F, and John Merryman, of Company I, were badly wounded. It is proper to report that Edward, a servant of Private English, Company K, went into the charge, following his master, gun in hand, and shot the notorious Everhart, who was left in Leesburg, badly wounded.
I am, Major, very respectfully, your most obedient servant,
THOMAS T. MUNFORD,
Colonel Second Virginia Cavalry.

Here's Private English, Company K,
William O. English

Residence Albemarle County VA; a 28 year-old Farmer.

Enlisted on 5/11/1861 at Charlottesville, VA as a Private.

On 5/11/1861 he mustered into "K" Co. VA 2nd Cavalry
He was discharged for promotion on 2/27/1863

On 2/27/1863 he was commissioned into VA Andrews Bn Light Artillery
(date and method of discharge not given)

He was listed as:
* On rolls 12/31/1861 (place not stated) (Present)
* Was paid 11/10/1862 (place not stated)
* On rolls 4/3/1863 (place not stated) (Present)
* Detached 12/31/1863 (place not stated) (On duty with Braxton's Battalion)
* On rolls 1/28/1864 Fredericks Hall, VA (Present)
* On rolls 4/14/1864 Fredericks Hall, VA (Present)
* Detailed 2/3/1865 Staunton, VA
* Ordered 3/15/1865 Drewry's Bluff, VA (To rejoin Braxton's Battn, NFR)

Promotions:
* Sergt 11/15/1861 (Estimated day)
* 1st Lieut 2/27/1863 (In Ordnance Department,)

Other Information:
born in 1833 in Westmoreland County, VA
died 3/2/1896 in Richmond, VA
- The Virginia Regimental Histories Series
...................................................................................

Here's the notorious Everhart,

Armistead Everhart

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 6/20/1862 at Lovettsville, VA as a Private.

On 6/20/1862 he mustered into "A" Co. VA Loudoun Rangers
He was discharged for wounds (date not stated)

He was listed as:
* POW 9/2/1862 Leesburg, VA
* Wounded 9/2/1862 Leesburg, VA (Shot through right knee)
* Confined 9/10/1862 Winchester, VA (Estimated day)
* Paroled 9/15/1862 Winchester, VA (Estimated day)
- History of the Loudoun Virginia Rangers 1862-65

Back