Bates Family

I have only heard good things about Ben myself. Of course my family is not from around there. My wife's is. That said, one of Ben's g. grandsons was pastor/moderator of my church and was a mentor to me before he died. I was honored to preach his funeral.

My family are from Letcher County KY. I was born there but raised up North. I don't remember them talking about anyone named Bates or Caudill but they may have. I don't know anything about Letcher County's involvement in the CW. It's interesting that it was a stronghold of the Confederates. My mother often talked about the Regular Baptist Church she attended in Beef Hide, where she was born. I am related to the Potter's, Hall's, and Bentley's. This is the first time I have heard of anyone talking about Letcher Co. in relation to the Civil War. Thank You for the interesting post.
It’s a long story but here goes. I can remember growing up Dad always said boy we had a tall civil war guy in the family(Dads tall as well) and I thought he’s crazy. I never asked anyone about our history, I just know our family has roots in Letcher County. Well after my Grandmother died, we lost touch with Dads older sister and Younger Brother (personal reasons), and Dad mentioned that my Aunt had the genealogy book, I thought well there goes history. Well in the last couple of years all of my great uncles have passed with the exception of one. I got to thinking one night, let’s try a website. I input some information and it brought up my Grandmother and I said to myself, dang I forgot she was a Bates. So I looked around the site and came across a picture of my Great Grandfather Hillard Bates and after that everything started to fall into place. I started all of this research because Dad has COPD and he started talking about a guy we know, he said you remember that plaque on Luke’s wall, I said yeah he is a Son of a Confederate Veteran, Dads response was well do you think we could join? That conversation was the flame that started the fire, I wanted Dad to have a little piece of his family back before he passes, considering he has one Bates uncle left.

I have only heard good things about Ben myself. Of course my family is not from around there. My wife's is. That said, one of Ben's g. grandsons was pastor/moderator of my church and was a mentor to me before he died. I was honored to preach his funeral.
That is amazing, unfortunately some days I hate the fact I’m 29 because I feel like I missed out on a lot of family history, because at least in my family, they are all almost gone. And three of the Bates Brothers moved to Hamilton Ohio (little Ky) so even when they were living we didn’t see them much.

Lol,lol,lol,lol. Chevy, I live in Hamilton Ohio.
Lol small world, well if you knew a Maynard or Merele Bates, they were mechanics and body men. Jerry there other brother moved with them but for the life of me I cannot remember if he was a Bates or a Mitchum. I forgot to add Buck Bates as well, also there little brother Jimmy Bates went up made a small sum and moved back to Ky.

Well, I guess I will confirm the Bates side in this post, and I will start another post about the Caudill side of my family. I appreciate everyone’s help so far, keep the info coming please. Thanks from a newbie in Ky.

Back