Bates Family

Chevyboy89

Private
I'm definitely still a new member. I have been doing some research into my family history. I know I had several family members serve for the Confederacy. I hope someone with more knowledge than me, is willing to spare a few moments and offer advice or knowledge about the Bates family from the Letcher County Ky area. I have one ancestor in general that I think served but all the information I have found is adding up. I'm at a loss, maybe he did or didn't serve. I know several of his Brothers and at least one Nephew. This ancestry research is fun..............but it is extremely difficult for the first timer like myself. If anyone has a spare moment, I appreciate any and all help that is offered.

I believe there is a Letcher County Homepage you might check out. While there were a lot of unionist in Eastern KY. Letcher County was a Confederate stronghold. Ben Caudill lead a lot of the rebs in that part of the hills. I am not that expert on the subject. My wife's family are from there and 99% of my congregation. My people were from TN and NC.

Well if my research is correct, (my Great Grandmother was a Caudill),my 5th Great Uncle was in fact Benjamin Caudill. If I have done everything correctly. But I do know both sides of my dads family came from Letcher County.

Well I’ll say my Great Grandfather was Hilliard Bates, he was a deputy in Letcher County who was shot in killed in the line of duty in 1948.

Martin Van Buren Bates (1837 - 1919) was from Letcher County, Kentucky and was known as the "Kentucky Giant" who
Martin Van Buren Bates (AKA the Kentucky Giant) was 7ft 7in tall and joined the 5th Kentucky I...jpg

was famed for his great height at 7`8". His wife Anna was 7`11". Martin Van Buren Bates joined the 5th Kentucky Infantry in 1861 from Letcher County, Kentucky. After the Civil War he moved back to Kentucky for a bit. He died in Seville, Ohio in 1919. Could he be part of your relations???

Are you are referring to Robert "Black Rob" Bates (1847 - 1930) born on 10 Dec 1847 at Beaver Creek, Floyd, Kentucky and died at Thornton, Letcher, Kentucky on 11 Feb 1930. He had a Civil War Pension which he filed in 1908: Application Number 1382 199 and Certificate Number: 1157026. It states that he was from Letcher Kentucky. But I could not get the exact unit that he served with on the Pension Card as it is written in very weak ink. I believe it may be the 7th or 2nd Battalion Infantry, he joined at the age of 16 on 3 May 1862. In the 1910 Census he answered yes to the question if he fought in the Civil War. By the way he was the Nephew of Martin Van Buren Bates shown above.

Last edited:
I think I have it, you are referring to Robert "Black Rob" Bates (1847 - 1930) born on 10 Dec 1847 at Beaver Creek, Floyd, Kentucky and died at Thornton, Letcher, Kentucky on 11 Feb 1930. He had a Civil War Pension which he filed in 1908: Application Number 1382 199 and Certificate Number: 1157026. It states that he was from Letcher Kentucky. But I could not get the exact unit that he served with on the Pension Card as it is written in very weak ink. I believe it may be the 7th Battalion Infantry, he joined at the age of 16 on 3 May 1862. In the 1910 Census he answered yes to the question if he fought in the Civil War. By the way he was the Nephew of Martin Van Buren Bates shown above.
Yes sir, I have looked and had a SCV genealogist look and he couldn't find anything. But i knew deep down he served. It was a long conversation with the gentleman from SCV, because he couldn't find anything so I chose to go through Captain Robert Bates, Martin's brother.

I found Capt. Robert Bates (1825 - 1921) Pension; wife Elizabeth Bentley Bates from Letcher Kentucky that served in the 7th Battalion Confederate Cavalry in Letcher County, Kentucky in Company "A". Children were Henry, Booten, Uriah, Jesse, Joe Bates and others, Daughters: Eliza, Minerva, Lola and Mildred among others. In his 1910 Census he states that he also fought for the Confederate Army.

Yes sir, all I can say is How do you do it. I can only imagine how much knowledge you possess. I don’t mean to be a burden, but I would appreciate any and all info you can pass on to me. If it’s not to much trouble. Thanks again.

Well, I forgot to ask. How about John Wallace (Wallis)Bates Jr ? Black Bobs father. Thats who I originally tried with, my mistake and I apologize. But I don’t think the genealogist found anything for either one of them.

John Wallace Bates Jr. (1814 - 1875) may have served in the 4th Kentucky Mounted Infantry in Company "A". As time permit`s over the week-end I will try and vet this for you.

Chevy, have you tried contacting the Ben Caudill SCV in Letcher County for help?

Chevy, have you tried contacting the Ben Caudill SCV in Letcher County for help?
TnFed,
Unfortunately I have not. I have thought about it, but I guess I wanted to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row before I contacted them. I have contacted the SCV, once I found some of my ancestors had served. Long story short, I wanted to use John Jr, the genealogist (SCV) found some muster cards for a John Jr. I sent him a check, and I thought all was well. He called me a few days later to tell me after researching more into the Bates Family, the cards he found didn’t add up. He said the cards he found for any John Jr in Ky was for a 20 some year old, which means it couldnt have been my relative, considering he was born roughly 1814. I did not think about Black Bob (my mistake) but I did mention Captain Robert Bates, and we found all the information that was needed. But to me I was a little disappointed because I couldn’t be a direct descendant at least on the Bates side. But I have been doing a little more research into my Great Grandmother ( Hillard Bates wife) side and since she was a Caudill I had a feeling somehow that side served as well. I did not expect to be related to Benjamin Caudill at all. I was shocked but at the same time I’m a little reserved with excitement just Incase my research is incorrect. I feel confident in my Bates research, but with 2nd Alabama Cavalry finding information I have not found, I am excited to see if my Grandfathers did in fact serve alongside their Uncles and Brothers.

That Camp might be a good bet for you. Since you are related to Bates and Caudills, you would probably have to be related someway to all the Caudills and Bates in Letcher County. I am thinking the head guy of that Camp is a Caudill. Ole Ben Caudill, who the Camp is named after was a Regular Baptist Preacher. Being a Regular Baptist Minister has never stop us from serving in the armed forces. :smile:

Correction to my previous post. The head of that Camp is a Richard Smith. Or so I saw when I googled it.

That Camp might be a good bet for you. Since you are related to Bates and Caudills, you would probably have to be related someway to all the Caudills and Bates in Letcher County. I am thinking the head guy of that Camp is a Caudill. Ole Ben Caudill, who the Camp is named after was a Regular Baptist Preacher. Being a Regular Baptist Minister has never stop us from serving in the armed forces. :smile:
From what I read he was a good man all together. What I find amazing,is my Great Grandmother’s father Jackey Caudill (2nd Great Grandfather) was a servant to my 2 Great Grandfather Robert “Black Bob” Bates. Which shocks me, from what I have gathered the Bates were very well off. The house Robert built was two stories with hand painted walls that looked liked wall paper, and the railings hand every symbol from a deck of cards.

My family are from Letcher County KY. I was born there but raised up North. I don't remember them talking about anyone named Bates or Caudill but they may have. I don't know anything about Letcher County's involvement in the CW. It's interesting that it was a stronghold of the Confederates. My mother often talked about the Regular Baptist Church she attended in Beef Hide, where she was born. I am related to the Potter's, Hall's, and Bentley's. This is the first time I have heard of anyone talking about Letcher Co. in relation to the Civil War. Thank You for the interesting post.

Back