Artillery Guidons

Ferd454231

Private
Joined
Dec 13, 2017
Someone reassure me (or burst my bubble). Didn't Union artillery batteries carry a guidon to mark where the battery was to deploy? Thank you in advance.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WJC
Here is one that shows the guidons at every 4th gun.
1554161753170.png
 
Battery H, 1st U.S. Artillery on Cemetery Hill at Gettysburg: The staff of the battery guidon, which was fastened in the ground by the right piece, was twice cut by the enemy's shells. (The History of the First Regiment of Artillery, p. 168)
 
When I read this post I had no idea what a guidon was, so I looked the word up in the dictionary! Then I saw the photo that @ucvrelics posted then I knew what they were. Learn something new everyday..Thaks for sharing this awesome post.
 
What an amazing community this is. Thank you all. UCVrelics, I have never seen that photo before! WOW
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top