Article on field artillery

Great article, few things to point out:
1) Confederate Case shot was originally Lead shot,but due to a lead shortage was replaced by Iron balls. the size of the Iron balls varied from shell to shell. This is what caused the Sideloader shells to be developed, as the drill bits could not drill into the iron case shot to make the powder charge cavity
2) Union Canister also used Iron balls, depending on the size of the weapon depended on the size of the iron balls.

Great read and will be sending this to a couple friends

Great article, few things to point out:
1) Confederate Case shot was originally Lead shot,but due to a lead shortage was replaced by Iron balls. the size of the Iron balls varied from shell to shell. This is what caused the Sideloader shells to be developed, as the drill bits could not drill into the iron case shot to make the powder charge cavity
2) Union Canister also used Iron balls, depending on the size of the weapon depended on the size of the iron balls.

Great read and will be sending this to a couple friends

Thanks. I'm really glad you liked it and will share it.

I've had to once again make a few edits so, as replacing the PDF seems to be a problem, if you want the most current version send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Back