Apple Butter Custard Pie

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This recipe for Apple Butter Custard Pie is from a cookbook that was originally published in 1876 by the ladies of a Congregational Church in Marysville, Ohio.

Apple Butter Custard Pie

Beat together four eggs, 0ne tea-cup apple butter, one of sugar, one level table-spoon allspice, add one quart sweet milk and pinch of salt; bake in three pies with an under-crust; and by the way never omit a pinch of salt in custard and lemon pie; in fact, many kinds of fruit pies, such as green-apple, currant, gooseberry, and pie-plant are improved by it.

That's what we call these days milk :smile: As opposed to butter milk or sour milk (and those things are different but can sub these days. Sour milk was milk that went sour before consuming... No refrigeration)

LOL! Just plain old milk? How boring! I thought perhaps it was another name for buttermilk. Thanks! :happy:

Sounds like a great way to have Apple Butter, which is a favorite of mine! I usually put some on my peanut butter sandwich or toast, the pie is very much more a complete dish fitting for a dessert.

Back