Okay, if you are REALLY bored, you can check into the history of my ancestor, John B. Mitchel of the 31st Alabama Infantry. His gravestone and his muster-in roll list him as J.B. Mitchel, although other members of his immediate family spelled the last name as "Mitchell".
His unit participated in the Kentucky campaign, Champion Hill, were captured and paroled at Vicksburg, then were sent to Chattanooga just as Lookout Mountain fell, were part of Cleborne's defenses at Missionary Ridge, participated in the Atlanta campaign, then Nashville, were combined with another Alabama Infantry unit and sent east to fight against Sherman in N. Carolina.
The problem I have is that after enlistment, the only records of him is in his muster-in role. At the very least he should show up as being paroled at Vicksburg and in N. Carolina after Johnston's surrender. No reference in the unit history of him ever being wounded, granted leave, gone AWOL, deserted, etc. Instead, we only have a reference in the Vicksburg paroles to an E.B. Mitchel, so perhaps this is a mistake by the Union officer processing the paroles. He was ultimately parolled near his home (not in N. Carolina) several months after the war by the provost marshall for the area.
I'd love to be able to fill out some details, and I hope against hope that some day I will find a picture of him.