Any Idea What This Means??

Johnny_Reb_1865

Sergeant
So I found a newspaper article from in the Macon Daily Telegraph dated July 28th, 1862 in the form of a letter which is signed:

"E. B. Branch.
Capt. & A. Q. M.I.C.S."

The bold part is what I'm not quite understanding.

Does anyone have any idea what this means???

So I found a newspaper article from in the Macon Daily Telegraph dated July 28th, 1862 in the form of a letter which is signed:
"E. B. Branch.
Capt. & A. Q. M.I.C.S."

The bold part is what I'm not quite understanding.

Does anyone have any idea what this means???
Branch was Post QM at Lynchburg (as a Captain) until mid-summer 1862, when he was sent to the same position in Petersburg. He was promoted to Major July 1, 1863. There are 136 images in his service record, none indicating a position as Inspector or Paymaster, just Post QM. I agree that "Inspector" is the most likely meaning for the letter I, but cannot prove it.

Could you tell us the subject of the letter in the newspaper? This might help.

Vote Here:

Branch was Post QM at Lynchburg (as a Captain) until mid-summer 1862, when he was sent to the same position in Petersburg. He was promoted to Major July 1, 1863. There are 136 images in his service record, none indicating a position as Inspector or Paymaster, just Post QM. I agree that "Inspector" is the most likely meaning for the letter I, but cannot prove it.

Going to open a can of worms...but here's the article.
es%2fimages%2fcharles_benger_confederate_discharge.jpg

Vote Here:

Any other info on this guy?

Vote Here:
Back