Tell me more! Antique Pistol

Woods-walker

First Sergeant
Forum Host
My wife went alone to a local auction a few years back and surprised me with one of the items she purchased for $57
The barrel seems somewhat short to me, but I am out of my realm with most antique firearms.
Was wondering what some of CWT experts can tell me.
(The handle grips were in terrible shape so I had a friend hand carve these replacements out of walnut. I kept the original handle grips, which had matching serial numbers on the inside of the grips)

164B88BB-33C9-49F2-94D0-CBEF7D002F03.jpeg

769D1FE8-0B4A-4AD2-8B65-FC7D673E09CE.jpeg

BF08A873-ADD0-46B2-BB05-871168FB7B53.jpeg

A0346410-AE0B-4148-84C0-21DB46F26EE5.jpeg

DB32A7E5-EF16-411F-842A-20F4FE402071.jpeg

I am no expert, but the Army versions of this pistol were in .44 caliber, and the Navy version was in .36 cal. Only about 500 Navy versions were built. The revolver was produced in barrel lengths of 5, 6, and 8 inches. Some parts are missing.

Pictured is an Army version of the pistol, showing how the loading lever was opened and how and where it was hidden.

allen and wheelock44.jpg

Compare the photos side by side and you will see the loading lever that the trigger guard operates when lowered appears to be not there for one thing. Note the gear teeth on the rack and pinion
Thanks. I did take a close look. The loading lever works smoothly on mine but I see a part missing under the barrel - with the rounded end (I assume it’s part of the loading mechanism). The cocking and trigger work fine and the trigger pull is strong. There’s about two inches missing from the end of the barrel but whoever cut it, took the effort to put a sight in the modified barrel.
I suspect it’s was still a good buy even with all the “walts”.
Thank you so much for your help

Thanks. I did take a close look. The loading lever works smoothly on mine but I see a part missing under the barrel - with the rounded end (I assume it’s part of the loading mechanism). The cocking and trigger work fine and the trigger pull is strong. There’s about two inches missing from the end of the barrel but whoever cut it, took the effort to put a sight in the modified barrel.
I suspect it’s was still a good buy even with all the “walts”.
Thank you so much for your help
Would you consider this to be a safe pistol to fire?
Lubliner.

Would you consider this to be a safe pistol to fire?
Lubliner.
Lublinwe - this particular one has seen many rounds go through it. If you could hold it you would see it’s lose when you shake it and the nipples and barrel are caked with power. It obviously was put up after a lot of firing w/o cleaning. It would take some serious expert cleaning and adjusting.

I am no expert, but the Army versions of this pistol were in .44 caliber, and the Navy version was in .36 cal. Only about 500 Navy versions were built. The revolver was produced in barrel lengths of 5, 6, and 8 inches. Some parts are missing.

Pictured is an Army version of the pistol, showing how the loading lever was opened and how and where it was hidden.

View attachment 399694
Thanks. Here’a a photo of mine opened.
I appreciate the info on different versions and barrel lengths. Mine is a .44 with a 6 inch barrel. I had always assumed the barrel length had been shortened but it still had the sight at the end which didn’t make sense. Many thanks.

E260AC82-296A-40E7-B136-5051D0E9E9AB.jpeg

A327B417-EDFD-40F6-8FE6-0A4A948BF63B.jpeg

Thanks. Here’a a photo of mine opened.
I appreciate the info on different versions and barrel lengths. Mine is a .44 with a 6 inch barrel. I had always assumed the barrel length had been shortened but it still had the sight at the end which didn’t make sense. Many thanks.

View attachment 399898

View attachment 399899
It is a remarkably complex piece of metal work. Even the finial on the hammer is fussy. Every piece involved a great deal of filing & finishing. No wonder there are no modern replicas.

Last edited:
Back