An e-wake for Larry Cockerham

Nathanb1,

Yeow! That crown pinches! I think I'll be deposed right quick when my 'subjects' find out how little I do know... :hmmm: In the meantime, I'm taking command of that column behind you and when you hear Gause's bugle you charge down the road as hard as you can and give 'em hell - right there yonder where I'm going to double 'em up... (That faint rattling sound you hear is me hiking around Larry's right boot...)

It seems to be settled on NBF's boyhood home - that's very good, I think! I'll be paying attention so I can see what to do later.

I have been neglect to add to this thread and I apologize. His frequent and educated posts were, as they should have been, well received. His knowledge of the ACW is well respected and his postings well anticipated. My few interactions with Larry were always civil until he questioned the existence of a railroad tunnel. When he discovered he was wrong he graciously admitted his mistake. In that moment I realized that I was dealing with someone that took this seriously. His realization of his error and graceful admission of such should be held as an example of how these boards should be conducted. I will miss him.

I sent an email to Shannon, requesting the Cockerham family's wishes. As soon as Shannon gets back in touch with us, we can take action.

Ole has suggested a total donation of $500 and will make the trip to Tennessee and NBF's birthplace to get the ball started.

How will we get the money to you, Ole?

Everyone's input will be very important.

Let me know if any of this sounds good, if you all have better ideas, etc.

Thanks.

Kelley / --BBF

Times are tough, and I've been setting aside what I can to put together my own reenactment gear (for an NBF reenactment company, as it turns out), but I'll gladly pitch in what I can.

P.S. I have to admit, before "meeting" Larry and Nathanb1, I would never have even considered joining an NBF reenactment company.

Which was Lamour?

Election day is over. Something at the NBF boyhood home. Nate will be in contact with the guy there (Andrews) to see what might be done with Larry's name on it. Then she will set up a place for y'all to send your contribution. I suspect nothing will be done with the funds immediately, but that they will be ear-marked for something Larry would approve of.

I plan to be there for the presentation. (I can do that because I have the time.) It would be cool if there was a CWT presence besides me.

For the moment, Nathanb1 is the coordinator. (Face it, some ONE has to be in charge. Otherwise, nothing would happen.) She will be reporting here, so if you know someone who does not log on regularly, it would be well to keep them informed.

Ummmmm, Nate. Not the weekend of July 23.

Meanwhile, figure out what you can afford to contribute and get your checkbook ready. It would be extremely emarrassing if we could only round up a few $100 for Larry. (That wouldn't pay for a danged plaque!)

Well, looks like I got crowned as well, Diane. I'd still like to get the family's input on what in particular he was working on and would like more than anything--within financial reason. BBF's got a good question on the funds--how we deal with that. I'm contacting the guy in charge of the home place to see what we can do, and I suspect he knows all the legalities BBF discussed (I can't imagine Larry not being very vocal about what had to be done with permits, etc.!)

Ole, that sounds very much like the weekend I wouldn't want either....hopefully much before that, okay? Hold yer horses. Let's deal with first things first, then crack out the checkbooks! (I suspect we may be able to set up something without a problem)

The homecoming is always in the middle of June. Dr. Bradley always gives some welcome talk. I am sure he would be glad to honor Larry publicly for his work on the project. If we are going to do something in that time frame we need to get it done as soon as possible.

The homecoming is always in the middle of June. Dr. Bradley always gives some welcome talk. I am sure he would be glad to honor Larry publicly for his work on the project. If we are going to do something in that time frame we need to get it done as soon as possible.

I would think that would be very fitting, Richard. And some of us could actually enjoy seeing the fruits of Larry's labor with all the frosting and candles, so to speak!

I sent an email to Shannon yesterday, requesting the Cockerham family wishes in regards to a memorial for Larry. Here is her response:

"We are just simply in awe of the posts and thoughts of honoring Larry. We do believe that he would be most pleased with something at the NBF boyhood home. I believe someone had mentioned planting a tree, since Larry was a landscape architect and had such respect for nature, I think that this would be a fitting way to honor and memorialize him. I know that it would be an honor for us to attend and meet some of the people who have posted such wonderful things about Larry.

Thanks!

Shannon "

````````````````````````````
--BBF

Larry will be sorely miss and very well remembered. He was one of the first to welcome me and warn me about Ole. LOL He was a great resource to me and pointed me in the right direction when I was running into walls about the 7th Tenn Cav batallion. He has left an everlasting mark on me personally and I will miss him even though I never met him in person.

His help has given me more reason to better my impression for CW reenacting. Money is tight but I would def throw a few bucks the way of something in a memorial

There's not much Larry and I agreed on, but I have to say I respected him and I never felt disrespected by him. He was always informative and courteous, what a true Southern gentleman and historian should be, and I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.

So a tree will be at least a good part of this...we're getting in touch with the SCV chapter that is in charge of the home to see what would be helpful, and then we'll get back with you and finalize plans. I personally appreciate Shannon's getting back to us so quickly, as well as Richard, who's contacted Dr. Bradley about some remarks, and Bonnie, who got in touch with Shannon, then finally, Ole, who is warning me about dates. If possible, we'll try to do this during THAT GUY'S annual birthday celebration, June 18th, when there will be lots of people there to appreciate what's being done in Larry's name and will help other people learn about how much he's done. That's the entire purpose, in my opinion....to spread the word about how we all feel about Larry and to honor him in a way he would feel is appropriate. That's the update for today. Bless all of you for being so gung ho about getting this done. Larry was that kind of guy--he always got it done, and we will, too.

In the meantime, we'll move over to the other thread and leave this for tributes to Larry. :smile:

Bumped to the top.

We have a lot of new members who ought to have known Larry. Maybe some of them can take an example of what a southern gentleman really is.

I have been neglectful in posting about Larry. I always enjoyed reading Larry's posts, he support for the Confederate Soldier knows no match. I appreciated his words of encouragement to me, and I loved exchanging stories about our home state of North Carolina. He was a true southern gentleman. I will miss him.

I did not know Larry but for his welcoming me to the forum just the day before he passed away. I felt like I'd met a friend reading his words, and when he closed with "I look forward to learning more from you." I thought, "What a nice guy he must be, to be so knowledgeable himself, and yet to acknowledge a new person in such a warm and friendly way." My heartfelt condolences to his family and his friends, and also to a lot of you here who knew him so well and will feel his absence much more than I.

Regards,
Dave

OMG. I've been away and just returned to learn that one of ours has passed.

Back