At the little jokes we always enjoyed together
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was
Let it be spoken without effort
Without the ghost of a shadow in it
Life means all that it ever meant
It is the same as it ever was
There is absolute unbroken continuity
What is death but a negligible accident?
Why should I be out of mind
Because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you for an interval
Somewhere very near
Just around the corner
All is well.
Nothing is past; nothing is lost
One brief moment and all will be as it was before
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!

Canon Henry Scott-Holland, 1847-1918, Canon of St Paul's Cathedral

Glorybound

Major
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
Death is nothing at all
I have only slipped away into the next room
I am I and you are you
Whatever we were to each other
That we are still
Call me by my old familiar name
Speak to me in the easy way you always used
Put no difference into your tone
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed
At the little jokes we always enjoyed together
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was
Let it be spoken without effort
Without the ghost of a shadow in it
Life means all that it ever meant
It is the same as it ever was
There is absolute unbroken continuity
What is death but a negligible accident?
Why should I be out of mind
Because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you for an interval
Somewhere very near
Just around the corner
All is well.
Nothing is past; nothing is lost
One brief moment and all will be as it was before
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!

Canon Henry Scott-Holland, 1847-1918, Canon of St Paul's Cathedral

Beautiful. Thanks for the post.

Ellsworth avenger

Sergeant Major
I questioned myself on where to criticize in the next subject,an thought Larry would probably have beaten me to the punch, on the columns center of attention. Larry,
I, and most others who participate here in controversial subject matter, know full well that adament,sometimes vehement responses are going to occur to certain threads . It's a given,but were here to learn.
Last Sunday in the Anchorage Daily News ,Leonard Pitts a well distributed columnist for the Maimi Herald, took aim at one of our easy target figures of the war, Nathon Bedford Forrest. I personaly have mixed feelings on the subject and still a bit undereducated,so iv'e left the commentary to others. Learned more from Larry than anyone on the subject.
Mr. Pitts,searching for a subject to write about picks, in his mind, a easy target to lambast .
He has probably closed and tainted more minds without true knowledge than we have opened with our discussions here.
I don't believe he's paid as well as he is to conveniently take a week off by trashing historical figures. There are plenty of current topics that need attention,though this might entail to much work for a lazy columnist. :cannon:
I hope iv'e conveyed a sentiment that meets Larry's approval.

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
I questioned myself on where to criticize in the next subject,an thought Larry would probably have beaten me to the punch, on the columns center of attention. Larry,
I, and most others who participate here in controversial subject matter, know full well that adament,sometimes vehement responses are going to occur to certain threads . It's a given,but were here to learn.
Last Sunday in the Anchorage Daily News ,Leonard Pitts a well distributed columnist for the Maimi Herald, took aim at one of our easy target figures of the war, Nathon Bedford Forrest. I personaly have mixed feelings on the subject and still a bit undereducated,so iv'e left the commentary to others. Learned more from Larry than anyone on the subject.
Mr. Pitts,searching for a subject to write about picks, in his mind, a easy target to lambast .
He has probably closed and tainted more minds without true knowledge than we have opened with our discussions here.
I don't believe he's paid as well as he is to conveniently take a week off by trashing historical figures. There is plenty of current topics that need attention,though this might entail to much work for a lazy columnist. :cannon:
I hope iv'e conveyed a sentiment that meets Larry's approval.

I suspect you did, Ellsworth. I've wished for Larry's presence several times lately. He was the master.

richard

First Sergeant
Larry had something that I wish more of us had, he had the ability to place his thinking in to the time period that his subject lived. Too many of us try to place todays values on those who lived in a different point in time. As it has been said about Larry, he was like the photographer, he was always there but never seen.

The next time any of you happen to pass through Franklin, take the time to visit and walk on Windsted Hill. Larry's SCV camp owes that hill and it was Larry's design work that made that vista work.

Larry, we miss you.

Bonny Blue Flag

1st Lieutenant
I was reading thru one of many threads and suddenly Larry's avatar popped up on a post within that thread.

It was heartwarming to see his avatar and the words he wrote.

I look foreward to these unsolicited gems of information from Larry.

--BBF

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
I was reading thru one of many threads and suddenly Larry's avatar popped up on a post within that thread.

It was heartwarming to see his avatar and the words he wrote.

I look foreward to these unsolicited gems of information from Larry.

--BBF

Bonny, I know what you mean. His avatar is still on my "Friends" list on my profile, and I've run across it several times in the past few days. Means a lot to have it there.

Hi all,

I am Larry's daughter-in-law, and I just want you all to know how much all of these post mean to us. We have been reading these the last couple of days and it has brought all of us some comfort. Larry was truly an amazing man, Brian (Larry's only child) and I have been married for 5 and half years, so I was only afforded the privilege of knowing Larry for around 6 and a half years. But in that time I grew to love him. I am so overjoyed that he got to know his two wonderful grandchildren, and I can only hope that Brian and I can do him justice in raising our children to know who their granddaddy was. Please continue to research and help us in carrying out Larry's dream of completing the boyhood home of NBF.

Also, please keep us informed of any services that will be done at the NBF home, we would like to be in attendance, to honor Larry. My personal email is [email protected], please continue to keep Darlene, Brian and the rest of our family in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for sharing your memories of Larry, they help to lighten our pain.

Warm Regards,
Shannon

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Hi all,

I am Larry's daughter-in-law, and I just want you all to know how much all of these post mean to us. We have been reading these the last couple of days and it has brought all of us some comfort. Larry was truly an amazing man, Brian (Larry's only child) and I have been married for 5 and half years, so I was only afforded the privilege of knowing Larry for around 6 and a half years. But in that time I grew to love him. I am so overjoyed that he got to know his two wonderful grandchildren, and I can only hope that Brian and I can do him justice in raising our children to know who their granddaddy was. Please continue to research and help us in carrying out Larry's dream of completing the boyhood home of NBF.

Also, please keep us informed of any services that will be done at the NBF home, we would like to be in attendance, to honor Larry. My personal email is [email protected], please continue to keep Darlene, Brian and the rest of our family in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for sharing your memories of Larry, they help to lighten our pain.

Warm Regards,
Shannon

Shannon, this is the least we could do for him. Larry often wrote of the joys of grandchildren and being with his family, so we know that all of you were much-loved! I'm sure you and Brian are wonderful parents; just think of the legacy he's left for your children as well as future generations. Not many of us can claim to have done so much. You are all in our prayers. Thank you all for sharing Larry with us.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
And I'm overjoyed to know that Larry's family is reading all this and appreciate how much we thought of him.

TerryB,

As am I.

Larry is still here, giving us information, adivice, and his much appreciated humor, everyday, all day.

Glad that his words and wisdom are still reaching out and touching the lives of others.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Glorybound

Major
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
Hi Shannon, thank you for posting on this forum. It's great to hear from you, you are our link to Larry now. With you on the boards it's like we still have Larry here with us in some respects. Feel free to hop online here with us anytime.

Bonny Blue Flag

1st Lieutenant
Shannon, it is an honor to have you post on this thread.

TerryB said it best--we are overjoyed knowing you all are reading these posts and so glad you appreciate how much we thought of Larry.

Kelley / --BBF

Union_Buff

Major
Forum Host
Hello Shannon and welcome to the forum. I'm sure Larry would be proud to know you're a member of this great little place on the web.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Though we met only once, Larry was as close as a best friend. We'd poke and prod and have a good time wondering who had the biggest paunch, the most hair, or handsomest. It was Larry who brought up ants in the log I offered to newbies.

We'll survive, but there will be this great big hole in the middle.

Karen Lips

1st Lieutenant
I will always remember Larry. This forum is not the same without him. He was such a big help to me in my interest in geneology research. I appreciated his dignified way of defending his position on topics and he could always back his stand with facts.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
And now I want this thread to come to a screeching halt. I've run out of tissues.

Every time someone says "Larry," I have to yank another. Stop it already!

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
I've thought about this a long time. Larry so well educated and researched in his area of interest, there was nothing I believe that man did not know or could not find in relation to the AoT or Nathan Bedford Forrest , he amazed me daily with the volumes of information he passed along to all of us, and you could tell it was a labor of love , he deserves the respect and love of every member of this board for what he gave us.

He also took the time to school this backward child of the Trans-Miss on many things and for that he has my undying respect and gratitude, he will be missed and he will be remembered.