An e-wake for Larry Cockerham

Missed and remembered are key words, Border. Missed and remembered. With his goddam ants.

Sometimes I used to think only Larry and I believed that Forrest was a Cavalry officer, but Larry argued it so much better than I could, now who defends Forrest against the hordes with Larry gone?

And now it is time to erect a nonument. What do we do? NBF's home. Sam Davis SCV Camp?

We ought to do something for Larry. Looking for suggestions and contributors. Someone said a tree. Maybe something else? Looking for suggestions here.

I posted this about Larry a couple weeks ago on an unrelated thread, but thought it was worth repeating here:

he has earned the undying respect of this forum for himself, his ancestors, and his cause, because of the civil and gentlemanly way he conducted himself.

Larry had a great sense of humor too. Several times he would set me to chucking all day over something I read in one of his posts in the morning.

Well, Larry is at peace now, enjoying the company of the ancestors he was always so proud of. And I have no doubt that they're every bit as proud of him.

And now it is time to erect a nonument. What do we do? NBF's home. Sam Davis SCV Camp?

We ought to do something for Larry. Looking for suggestions and contributors. Someone said a tree. Maybe something else? Looking for suggestions here.

I agree, the NBF boyhood home is the place. I think a tree, or maybe a bench, with a plaque would be excellent.

ole,

Set something up with the Camp Davis folks or perhaps here with M. E. Wolf, and I will gladly contribute towards it.

Larry must be chuckling now, seeing that Unionblue will actually give money to NBF restoration for his memory.

I hope he gets a kick out of that one!

Sincerely,
Unionblue

There ain't many like Larry. I miss him every day. Those of you that knew him longer than I did must surely miss him.

Maybe an ant infested log instead of a bench? Just kidding, I'll contribute to what those of you who knew him better think best.

dvrmte

I'll stick up for old Forrest but it's sure pitiful poor compared to Larry's abilities!

I'd like to put in a vote for the boyhood home - he really felt a special tie to that place. Forrest didn't leave much behind him, when you think about it, compared to other luminaries of the war. He had numerous homes all over Tennessee and Mississippi but this one is the only one left that can be undoubtedly connected to Forrest. Another important aspect of it was some of the brothers were also born there, and they were important to Larry, too. They left simply nothing behind, so it is also a connection to William, Aaron, Jesse and Jeffery, who fought beside their brother.

I didn't know Larry long, but he sure left me wishing I'd known him longer.

There ain't many like Larry. I miss him every day. Those of you that knew him longer than I did must surely miss him.

Maybe an ant infested log instead of a bench? Just kidding, I'll contribute to what those of you who knew him better think best.

dvrmte

dvrmte,

I submit you knew him just as well as any of us.

One or two posts from Larry was the equivilant of an entire lifetime of knowing other folks.

You knew him, and you prove such when you say above you miss him every day.

You got any suggestions, you put 'em up there for the rest of his friends to see.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

I'm in!

A tree and a plaque at eithr NBF boyhood home or Winstead Hill...it was Larry's knowledge as a landscape architect that made that project successful... either one, or both...

For my two cents worth, something at Winsted hill would be the best place for it. Usually Forrest's home has far fewer visitors that Winsted Hill. We or someone should get in touch with Dave Eagan at SCV camp[ 1293, and find out what they are planning to do. I would be happy to contact David if you wish but we need some direction as to what we want to do and what we can do.

Richard

I'm all for something for the NBF Boyhood Home, but probably not for the reasons you'd think. He was certainly proud of Winstead Hill, but to me he condsidered it done....you could tell the NBF project was not only this pride and joy, but something he wanted to finish and preserve for posterity. Diane summed it up perfectly as far as the other reasons. I'd like to contact whoever else is in charge and see what we could do best--it may be donating for some particular thing, or it might just be to finish something. A donation and plaque about Larry would be right up my alley. A tree is nice, but only if it is needed and wanted.

I'm all for something for the NBF Boyhood Home, but probably not for the reasons you'd think. He was certainly proud of Winstead Hill, but to me he condsidered it done....you could tell the NBF project was not only this pride and joy, but something he wanted to finish and preserve for posterity. Diane summed it up perfectly as far as the other reasons. I'd like to contact whoever else is in charge and see what we could do best--it may be donating for some particular thing, or it might just be to finish something. A donation and plaque about Larry would be right up my alley. A tree is nice, but only if it is needed and wanted.

OK...I'm easy..

A bunch of good ideas mentioned here, I'd be glad to contribute to any of them. One other thing I thought of was perhaps some sort of remembrance/memorial on the site here, maybe on the home page, or the index of forums page, or in another prominent place, with perhaps a paragraph or two honoring Larry, and his contributions to this site. Shotgun has something like this on his home page, http://civilwarhome.com/, honoring a couple of members. Since Larry was so committed to this site, and did so much towards contributing the volumes of information about Forrest, the AOT, geneology, etc. that has enriched this place so much, I think it would be appropriate to recognize him here, too. Just an idea.

I'll stick up for old Forrest but it's sure pitiful poor compared to Larry's abilities!

I'd like to put in a vote for the boyhood home - he really felt a special tie to that place. Forrest didn't leave much behind him, when you think about it, compared to other luminaries of the war. He had numerous homes all over Tennessee and Mississippi but this one is the only one left that can be undoubtedly connected to Forrest. Another important aspect of it was some of the brothers were also born there, and they were important to Larry, too. They left simply nothing behind, so it is also a connection to William, Aaron, Jesse and Jeffery, who fought beside their brother.

I didn't know Larry long, but he sure left me wishing I'd known him longer.

Diane, I think Larry pretty much crowned you queen.....and I'll be happy to be your Morton :smile:

Does that make me court jester?

Well, you certainly often played the straight man to a lot of Larry's jokes :smile: And for that, mon ami, I salute you! You, Larry and Ole were like a well-oiled (or preserved?) Crosby, Hope and Lamour. I was laughing at an old thread yesterday with the three of you, as a matter of fact!

Which was Lamour?

Election day is over. Something at the NBF boyhood home. Nate will be in contact with the guy there (Andrews) to see what might be done with Larry's name on it. Then she will set up a place for y'all to send your contribution. I suspect nothing will be done with the funds immediately, but that they will be ear-marked for something Larry would approve of.

I plan to be there for the presentation. (I can do that because I have the time.) It would be cool if there was a CWT presence besides me.

For the moment, Nathanb1 is the coordinator. (Face it, some ONE has to be in charge. Otherwise, nothing would happen.) She will be reporting here, so if you know someone who does not log on regularly, it would be well to keep them informed.

Ummmmm, Nate. Not the weekend of July 23.

Meanwhile, figure out what you can afford to contribute and get your checkbook ready. It would be extremely emarrassing if we could only round up a few $100 for Larry. (That wouldn't pay for a danged plaque!)

Back