Always Check Your Brass!

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
Joined
May 27, 2019
Location
Mississippi
2.jpg

I was pleased to dig this brass sword rig stud in Vicksburg. It is large, thick, and has a very nice forest green patina.
It wasn't until I got home and started cleaning it up when I noticed a soldier had inscribed his initials into the brass.

1.jpg

It does have some damage, but it appears to have the initials "E" "H" "I" and then a "US above it.
Soldiers commonly labeled their equipment with their names or initials for identification.

3.jpg

It just pays to take a close look at all the brass you dig. You never know what you might notice or find.

Thanks for looking!
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top