Lincoln Abraham Art!

This is an unusual painting of Lincoln in the bedroom of the Lincoln Cottage. Can't find the artist, though!

4630271493_0caa1ae6a7_z.jpg

Great find diane.

You're right . . . that is a very unusual painting.
I hope someone can shed more light on this piece.

My first thought is it Lincoln writing and re-writing the Gettysburg Address ?

I finally noticed what looks like discarded copies of whatever on the floor.

Actually my eye kept being drawn to those funky slippers.

Last edited:
Lincoln is a popular subject for artists. Not only does he have a face with many emotions in a single expression, but many Americans also see him as a great American hero. Hey his face is even on the penny.

This is an unusual painting of Lincoln in the bedroom of the Lincoln Cottage. Can't find the artist, though!

4630271493_0caa1ae6a7_z.jpg
Thanks, diane, for posting this painting. Did a little looking around.....apparently, the artist is Jes W. Schlaikjer.

Jes W. Schlaikjer was an official artist for the U.S. government and well known painter of portraits and historic scenes in the mid 1900s. A great admirer of Abraham Lincoln, Schlaikjer determined to paint a historical scene of Lincoln toiling on the Emancipation Proclamation one evening in September 1862 at the Soldiers’ Home. While he painted this scene from his imagination, Schlaikjer was inspired to paint the scene after discovering Lincoln was known to have carried notes and jottings for the document to and from the Soldiers’ Home.

Read more:
http://lincolncottage.org/1950s-pai...g-emancipation-proclamation-at-soldiers-home/

Thanks, diane, for posting this painting. Did a little looking around.....apparently, the artist is Jes W. Schlaikjer.

Jes W. Schlaikjer was an official artist for the U.S. government and well known painter of portraits and historic scenes in the mid 1900s. A great admirer of Abraham Lincoln, Schlaikjer determined to paint a historical scene of Lincoln toiling on the Emancipation Proclamation one evening in September 1862 at the Soldiers’ Home. While he painted this scene from his imagination, Schlaikjer was inspired to paint the scene after discovering Lincoln was known to have carried notes and jottings for the document to and from the Soldiers’ Home.

Read more:
http://lincolncottage.org/1950s-pai...g-emancipation-proclamation-at-soldiers-home/

Thanks! That's a nice little piece. I'm with 7th - can't avoid those slippers but at the same time they seem to be fitting! Was surprised to see that the artist had gone to such lengths to be accurate - those slippers really were Abe's.

Thanks! That's a nice little piece. I'm with 7th - can't avoid those slippers but at the same time they seem to be fitting! Was surprised to see that the artist had gone to such lengths to be accurate - those slippers really were Abe's.
I just noticed Abe's hat on the far nightstand.

lincart ep cwt.jpg

Lincoln Statue, Nebraska State Capitol, Lincoln, Nebraska, in front of the Gettysburg Address.

September 2, 1912 - Lincoln Statue, Nebraska State Capitol, Lincoln, Nebraska (USA). "The Gettysburg Address [November 19, 1863] is carved into the granite backdrop, and Abraham Lincoln is depicted as just having finished that memorable speech. Sculptor Daniel Chester French [1850-1931] collaborated with architect Henry Bacon [1866-1924] to provide the statue's setting. French and Bacon are most famous for their work on the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC. At the statue's dedication, Nebraska orator William Jennings Bryan [1860-1925] spoke to a crowd of thousands."

http://peace.maripo.com/p_lincoln.htm

Gettysburg's Newest Lincoln Statue 2014.jpg

Donors of Lincoln Statue.jpg
Here is a photo of Gettysburg's newest Lincoln statue, which stands in front of the Adams County Public Library on Baltimore Street, along with a photo listing the donors of the statue, whose names are on the base. Details from the dedication last November are at the link:
http://tinyurl.com/NewLincolnStatue

A few details to add: The setting of the statue is particularly fitting for two reasons. It is along the route that Lincoln traveled through Gettysburg to deliver his address at the national cemetery dedication on Nov. 19, 1863, and the bronze Lincoln gestures toward an inscription in large block letters across the front of the library, "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA."

Last edited:
Back