Lincoln Abraham Art!

Gettysburg visitors who check out the link below will recognize the figure shown, which has now appeared -- with Abraham Lincoln -- in front of the Miami County Courthouse in Troy, Ohio. The "Modern Man" is Lincoln's companion in the Seward Johnson sculpture "Return Visit," which occupies a prominent spot on Lincoln Square in front of the David Wills House, where Lincoln stayed overnight on November 18, 1863, before giving his famous address at the dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery. Many visitors to Gettysburg enjoy having their photo taken with Lincoln and his modern friend. Visitors to Troy won't have quite the same photo opportunity, since Miami County's version of the statue is considerably larger-than-life, standing 25-feet tall. It was installed in Troy this week.
http://interactives.wdtn.com/photom...-lincoln/photo-gallery-new-statue-of-Lincoln/

As part of its 10th anniversary celebration, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Illinois, held a student art contest. I especially like this portrayal of Lincoln "in his own words" at the link below.

After you view it, you can scroll through more of the entries from there. It looks like they had a great turnout by many young artists:

https://www.facebook.com/Lincoln.Mu...1430789824./10153168445141469/?type=1&theater

As part of its 10th anniversary celebration, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Illinois, held a student art contest. I especially like this portrayal of Lincoln "in his own words" at the link below.

After you view it, you can scroll through more of the entries from there. It looks like they had a great turnout by many young artists:

https://www.facebook.com/Lincoln.Mu...1430789824./10153168445141469/?type=1&theater
This entry, linked above, won runner-up for this young artist. Thank you LoyaltyOfDogs!

lodlink cwt.jpg

View attachment 46969

Lincoln Statue, Nebraska State Capitol, Lincoln, Nebraska, in front of the Gettysburg Address.

September 2, 1912 - Lincoln Statue, Nebraska State Capitol, Lincoln, Nebraska (USA). "The Gettysburg Address [November 19, 1863] is carved into the granite backdrop, and Abraham Lincoln is depicted as just having finished that memorable speech. Sculptor Daniel Chester French [1850-1931] collaborated with architect Henry Bacon [1866-1924] to provide the statue's setting. French and Bacon are most famous for their work on the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC. At the statue's dedication, Nebraska orator William Jennings Bryan [1860-1925] spoke to a crowd of thousands."

http://peace.maripo.com/p_lincoln.htm
11709726_10152805958425771_4406017252995242012_n.jpg

OH my gosh what a great thread. WISH that statue had been there when my daughter was at Gettysburg. It's marvelous, no other way to put it, thanks so much for bringing it here, Loyalty Of Dogs

This whole thread is exciting in the way I cannot put my finger on; God know I'm not hesitant using enough words.... .Wendy Allen's work is crazy, crazy good and has changed my mind of contemporary Lincoln art- completely! Never liked it- maybe the idea of? Another tough concept- maybe because you see SO many fake Lincoln's hawking snake oil and mattresses and gosh, beating up George Washington that any new images give me the willies. Not any more!

I'm only a folk artist, have done portraits in the genre- I said I'm an artist, did not say I'm a good artist. May have a shot at Lincoln and no, will not post it. :chicken: In the same thread as all this? Ha! Again, :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken:

Terrific thread Chellers, maybe a great stickie for the Lincoln forum, no?

Thanks to All for your kind words. A huge thanks to the artists whose works are represented here. It's interesting to see the various interpretations of the image of Abraham Lincoln. @LoyaltyOfDogs thanks so much for the recent addition from Gettysburg College; it's magnificent.

We would love to see your interpretations @JPK Huson 1863. And I hope @Bob171, @jay gale, and other artistic members will post their renderings and creations.

OH my gosh what a great thread. WISH that statue had been there when my daughter was at Gettysburg. It's marvelous, no other way to put it, thanks so much for bringing it here, Loyalty Of Dogs

This whole thread is exciting in the way I cannot put my finger on; God know I'm not hesitant using enough words.... .Wendy Allen's work is crazy, crazy good and has changed my mind of contemporary Lincoln art- completely! Never liked it- maybe the idea of? Another tough concept- maybe because you see SO many fake Lincoln's hawking snake oil and mattresses and gosh, beating up George Washington that any new images give me the willies. Not any more!

I'm only a folk artist, have done portraits in the genre- I said I'm an artist, did not say I'm a good artist. May have a shot at Lincoln and no, will not post it. :chicken: In the same thread as all this? Ha! Again, :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken:

Terrific thread Chellers, maybe a great stickie for the Lincoln forum, no?

I hope you will post your own Lincoln portrait, @JPK Huson 1863. He is a fitting subject for every style, from majestic marble sculpture to humble childhood drawings. I enjoy seeing them all.

Last edited:
I wood carve and have done four Lincoln busts so far. #4 is on display at the Glema Mahr Art Center the rest of this month. If anyone is interested my work is on my facebook page. You can see the work progress from pretty rough on Young Lincoln, #1 and refining with each attempt. #5 is in the works. Enter: Ronald Johnston Madisonville Kentucky that should bring it up. I love Lincoln art in all it's forms. The most interesting man and face ever.

Indeed I think his skeletal and soft tissue features are quite interesting. All the more given who he was and what he meant/means to our country. These features give one great latitude in depicting his image and/or capturing his countenance. As for his physical features I have long agreed with those who postulate that he had a Marfanoid Syndrome (if not Marfan's Syndrome proper).

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=6110

Thanks to all for posting these works. Good stuff.

Indeed I think his skeletal and soft tissue features are quite interesting. All the more given who he was and what he meant/means to our country. These features give one great latitude in depicting his image and/or capturing his countenance. As for his physical features I have long agreed with those who postulate that he had a Marfanoid Syndrome (if not Marfan's Syndrome proper).

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=6110

Thanks to all for posting these works. Good stuff.

The Marfoid battle still rages, have heard professionals scoff. The thing is, there are many more disorders other than Marfans sharing connective tissue dysfunction. He could have had one of these. They were simply unheard of mid-century 1800's. Our family carries Ehlers Danlos, one type manifesting with height. Most connective tissue disorders are genetic and they do not ' go away', makes me wonder if any Lincoln or Hanks relatives have had to be diagnosed.

Back