Restricted A P Hill

atlantis

Sergeant Major
The court has lifted the injunction against removing CS monuments in Richmond. Hill is the last still standing, unclear what will play out as his remains are under the pedestal.

atlantis

Sergeant Major
Last I heard the city attorneys were still researching the laws in regards to moving a body etc
A concern I have, with the track record authorities have and a local election underway, legal advice may give way to politics. You also have an emboldened mob still in the city.

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
In this current time it is not a generalization, it is stating a fact as it has presented and proven itself by the mobs actions and rhetoric.

That is actually an opinion.

So just what is "letting the dead rest"?
Well, there's not digging up the dead unnecessarily and there is labelling everyone in a group that you disagree with one thing. I don't generalize because I disagree. And I am going to leave it at that as not to veer this discussion off topic.

Quaama

Sergeant
I recently came across an interesting fact about the A P Hill Monument. The rear of the monument has an inscription that says "His remains were interred here June 24, 1891" see HMDB - A P Hill yet it appears that was not the case. Due to a legal issue, Richmond Dispatch June 25, 1891 (see column six of that newspaper's front-page) General Hill's remains could not be moved on that day. [The legal issue was that written permission was needed from General Hill's widow to enable his remains to be removed from their previous resting place.]

I remain unsure of when his remains were actually interred within the monument. Perhaps there is a more experienced sleuth than I who can advise of the true date that General Hill was laid to rest there (although it seems it will not be for much longer).

danny

Sergeant
That is actually an opinion.

Well, there's not digging up the dead unnecessarily and there is labelling everyone in a group that you disagree with one thing. I don't generalize because I disagree. And I am going to leave it at that as not to veer this discussion off topic.

You are a bit late for that.

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host
I recently came across an interesting fact about the A P Hill Monument. The rear of the monument has an inscription that says "His remains were interred here June 24, 1891" see HMDB - A P Hill yet it appears that was not the case. Due to a legal issue, Richmond Dispatch June 25, 1891 (see column six of that newspaper's front-page) General Hill's remains could not be moved on that day. [The legal issue was that written permission was needed from General Hill's widow to enable his remains to be removed from their previous resting place.]

I remain unsure of when his remains were actually interred within the monument. Perhaps there is a more experienced sleuth than I who can advise of the true date that General Hill was laid to rest there (although it seems it will not be for much longer).

July 1 1891

Scott1967

First Sergeant
People forget it was AP Hills troops that paraded captured coloured troops through Richmond while Hill did nothing after the battle of the crater , While i deplore any vandalization and detest activists you simply cant leave statues up in public spaces that celebrate men who fought to preserve slavery and expect people to be ok with it.

*Edited*

Last edited by a moderator:

Stone in the wall

2nd Lieutenant
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Blue Ridge Mountains, Jefferson County WV
The majority have been OK with the A P Hill monument since 1892.
On Confederate Monuments:
In 2017 54% in favor, 27% for removal, 19% unsure. (Reuters)
In 2017 49% in favor, 33% for removal, 18% unsure. (HuffPost/YouGov)
Now we have pushy activists, brain washing and pushing THEIR OWN agenda.
Union prisoners were marched through Richmond after the 1st Manassas, why would USCT be any different?