A Memorial For Ermal

Mrs. V

1st Lieutenant
Ermal passed away last year, and the Battery had intended to do a memorial firing at one of the early re-enactments..then the pandemic reared it’s ugly noggin, and everything in the season got cancelled. His widow decided that she wanted the firing to happen on their property. He had his own cannon..yeah, he liked things to go “Boom!”

Yesterday, we travelled 3 hours in order for my son to take part in drill, so that he could be on the team that fired a cannon at the actual memorial. We had Ermals gun, and a mountain howitzer. I had no idea that there would be 2 guns, nor that they would both fire so many rounds. It was an amazing experience.

Everything was held outside, and while we were masked, most kept social distance..there were some hugs, but, whatcha gonna do..it’s a memorial..ya know?

I met Ermal once, at Hale In 2019. He was just the nicest person you ever wanted to meet. We talked and I shared my Ginger bread cookies (Stauffers) with him. He ate quite a few!! And we talked brands of gingerbread cookies! Such fun. He really treated me with kindness, even though I was not a member of the battery. And that is how things should be. He was a true Gentleman.

Best comment of the afternoon? “Oh, Ermal would be smiling” after a very nice blast from his personal Cannon. “Nellie Bell”..

As a member of the battery, my son wore his Artillary shell jacket and forage cap with brass. I chose to dress in my newly completed Mourning gown. Period dress was not required, but I kinda felt Ermal would approve. When I greeted his Widow, she said to me “Oh, and you came in full mourning attire, Bless your heart”. She seemed really, really pleased. Glad I went that little extra..driving in stays is an experience...not to mention hoops. But you know, you manage! Skirt origami is a thing!

Pictures to follow when I get them sorted.

534293AA-E53A-4861-8424-2E1FD07F8EDF.jpeg

The First Ohio Light Artillary Battery A. The State House guns.

Somewhat somber, but there was so much joy there. Evidently Ermal wasn’t one for much ceremony, so there wasn’t. Just the boom of the guns. Best send off for an Artillary man ever.
Very Nice Memorial and Great Photos. That's how this artillery man wants to go.

Ermal was always welcoming to all, told great stories, quick with a funny comeback and was quite a character. He was also a master at cooking with cast iron over an open fire. After we would place the guns for a battle at reenactments, he would always reach into his haversack and pass out Swedish fish to the gun crew. Last year at our St. Barbara's feast ( I was the master of the punch) I added Swedish fish to the artillery punch in honor of Ermal, and in each jar we bottled for the participants to take home, I added a Swedish fish in his honor.

The event in Phillipi was always one of Ermals favorites and we had planned to do a memorial firing there with his gun, however the event was canceled due to COVID.

I did not attend the memorial firing due to COVID ( my sister in law lives with us who is under hospice care and we are isolating ourselfs as much as possible to prevent bringing it into our house). It looks like there was a good turnout. A fitting tribute.

Ermal was always welcoming to all, told great stories, quick with a funny comeback and was quite a character. He was also a master at cooking with cast iron over an open fire. After we would place the guns for a battle at reenactments, he would always reach into his haversack and pass out Swedish fish to the gun crew. Last year at our St. Barbara's feast ( I was the master of the punch) I added Swedish fish to the artillery punch in honor of Ermal, and in each jar we bottled for the participants to take home, I added a Swedish fish in his honor.

The event in Phillipi was always one of Ermals favorites and we had planned to do a memorial firing there with his gun, however the event was canceled due to COVID.

I did not attend the memorial firing due to COVID ( my sister in law lives with us who is under hospice care and we are isolating ourselfs as much as possible to prevent bringing it into our house). It looks like there was a good turnout. A fitting tribute.
My son and I did wonder where you were, but figured you had to work or something. We have been isolating as much as possible, and went to the memorial very well masked. Sorry about your sister in law. IIt’s good that she has oving people around her.

I thought it might be! That’s the gun Western Reserve Volunteer got to fire/pull the lanyard. It has a good voice. I do know he was pleased to drill through all the positions on it. I was glad we could attend drill and memorial.

I need to learn Lorena, so that I can record it and send it on to his Widow.

Back