A frame tent height and pole question

Tanklesstea

Cadet
new to the forum but been lurking for a while reading what I can!
I recently started in re-enactments. And have yet to do any battles or living histories. In preparation for Bentonville (before it was canceled) I am borrowing an A frame from my company. I have not measured this tent but it appears to be about 6 foot high in the center. I recently bought an A frame for 100$ and was told at the time it was 6 foot high. I did inspect the tent and it was in mint condition but the poles looked short when I was inspecting it. I bought the tent because the price was right. I set the tent up and noticed that it was short but I also noticed when stretched out the tent did not sit flat on the ground at the edges in fact it appeared the poles were still too tall and was leaving a large gap at the ground.
I setup the company tent up to compare and noticed it too was stretched up from the edges at the ground leaving gaps, but not as bad as the new tent. I then did a test and used a shorter pole I quickly made from a 2 x 4 and found that if I dropped the pole down to 60” plus attaching the ridge pole to this put the center of the tent at 62”.
Now my question is why is the new tent shorter? Is it not a standard A frame?
I’m in the process of making new poles and ridge pole since the ones that came with it are too long and Not well made. Now here’s my question on the poles were A frame tent poles ever two part with a metal sleeve? I can make the poles octagonal but want to make them two part to transport. Also were the tops secured with metal or rope to prevent the tops from splitting?

thanks

Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. There is no exact standard size, they vary a little by maker and sometimes they have 3 or 4 different sizes. You'll just have to adjust by trial if you don't know the exact measurement. Make sure you keep the doors tied shut at the bottom when you put it up. Most people break the ridge down in half for ease of transport and use the metal sleeves. They aren't exactly correct. You have to keep in mind the whole set up is farby, not throwing stones because I use an A Frame most of the time myself. In the field you wouldn't see all that canvas, they'd be using shelter halves if they felt like carrying them or sleep under the stars mostly.

Thanks for the reply! And the welcome!
I was thinking this was the case that there a different versions based
Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. There is no exact standard size, they vary a little by maker and sometimes they have 3 or 4 different sizes. You'll just have to adjust by trial if you don't know the exact measurement. Make sure you keep the doors tied shut at the bottom when you put it up. Most people break the ridge down in half for ease of transport and use the metal sleeves. They aren't exactly correct. You have to keep in mind the whole set up is farby, not throwing stones because I use an A Frame most of the time myself. In the field you wouldn't see all that canvas, they'd be using shelter halves if they felt like carrying them or sleep under the stars mostly.
Thanks for the reply and welcome!
I figure as much that every suttler will sell many diffrent sizes. Just wanted to see if the big gap at the bottom is normal. My instinct is it should be level with the ground with little to no gaps. I was thinking of making the support poles split in half with a metal sleeve just like the ridge phole..... and to have a metal band at the top to stop splitting at the top of the poles. I'm sure since the whole thing is farby the poles can be a little off from correct...If I was in my 20's I would be sleeping out under the stars but I'm getting to the point that I can't sleep outside or in an open tent directly on the ground.

None of the modern tent manufacturers make a common tent to period specifications, and most modern tents come in different measurements. Link to specifications: https://books.google.com/books?id=6fYRAAAAYAAJ&lr&pg=PA287#v=onepage&q&f=false

Note : link is a post-bellum document. A version from the war isn't available online. The specifications here are the same as those during the war. Except for shelter halves. They made those a little longer...

- S.S. Mucket

Thanks for the reply! And the welcome!
I was thinking this was the case that there a different versions based

Thanks for the reply and welcome!
I figure as much that every suttler will sell many diffrent sizes. Just wanted to see if the big gap at the bottom is normal. My instinct is it should be level with the ground with little to no gaps. I was thinking of making the support poles split in half with a metal sleeve just like the ridge phole..... and to have a metal band at the top to stop splitting at the top of the poles. I'm sure since the whole thing is farby the poles can be a little off from correct...If I was in my 20's I would be sleeping out under the stars but I'm getting to the point that I can't sleep outside or in an open tent directly on the ground.
Hey I hear ya, I'm no kid anymore either, I'll rough it every once in a while if I'm participating with the campaigners but I usually have my A frame. Plus my other half comes sometimes and have to make it comfortable for her. If you don't have a sod cloth at the bottoms of your tent there will be a little gap, it won't be tight to the ground. I've never had a problem with my poles splitting but I guess a band around the top wouldn't hurt.

I have both an A and a shelter half tent. My parents use the A mostly and I like the shelter half. I have been known to sleep out under the starts though. Just don't hang it up in the basement to let it dry....canvas grows mold pretty quick.

Back