A challenge debate thread part 2

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
We are looking at a debate thread. See for A challenge debate thread a previous discussion.
Members judge for themselves the best presentation. If a member wants to start a poll, then it is up to them. A non debate thread about the debate can be created and is only subject to CWT rule where the debate can be discussed and questions to be asked of the participants posed.

We will need 3 volunteers. The participant and a non participatory moderator.

The rules are:
  • Debate Thread created in moderated threads.
  • Only participants and the moderator may post. Teams and consultants are allowed, but only one member may post.
  • Standard CWT rules.
  • Moderator(s) may not participant,judge or comment,. They only enforce the rules.
  • There must be a debatable proposition/question.
  • Side A is the affirmative.
  • Side A presents their opening Statement in a single post.
  • Side B presents their opening Statement in a single post.
  • Side A presents their rebuttal of B's opening Statement in a single post.
  • Side B presents their rebuttal of A' opening Statement in a single post.
  • Followed by 5 Supplemental statement posts and rebuttals in the format of a statement followed by a rebuttal. A followed by B.
  • Side B asks 2 questions each in a separate post.
  • Side A answers the questions each in a separate post.
  • Side A asks 2 questions each in a separate post.
  • Side B answers the questions each in a separate post.
  • Side A makes closing statement in a single post.
  • Side B makes closing statement in a single post.
  • Up to 3 questions from the audience for each team from members other than participants. Teams may refuse to answer the question and it will be deleted by the moderator. The questions will be selected and posted by the moderator from the non debate thread about the debate if any.

Comments?
Subjects?
Volunteers to debate those subject?

jgoodguy, I think you have done an outstanding job at getting this organized and putting forth the rules. I commend you sir on a job well done. Hopefully soon debates will start and if the rules are followed as you have them outlined, the debates will remain civil. Again thank you for the effort you have taken in getting it all organized.

Respectfully,

William

Well, might I nominate some folks I'd like to see debate?

It's not because I agree or disagree with either, nor that these two agree or disagree with one another:

Brass Napoleon and James B. White;

But because, over the years, I have enjoyed their individual abilities to formulate thoughts and positions in a unique manner. That's just me though. I bet they could find positions to take and have a go at it. Will ya guys!?

It's not because I agree or disagree with either, nor that these two agree or disagree with one another:

But because, over the years, I have enjoyed their individual abilities to formulate thoughts and positions in a unique manner. That's just me though. I bet they could find positions to take and have a go at it. Will ya guys!?
I'm flattered! I'd be glad to do it, depending on the topic. Did Lee make the best choice on the second day at Gettysburg? LOL! I'm conceding right now.

If it's not something about military tactics or leaders, I might stand a chance, but I don't know if a more typical military topic might be of more general interest to start, and there are others who could handle those topics far better than me.

Thanks for the very kind words, alan, and for putting me in such esteemed company as James B White. I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical of the concept - I think the beauty of this forum is the open exchange of ideas among multiple participants - as exasperating as it can be sometimes :giggle:. I'd be willing to consider it though, if nothing else for the novelty of it. I suppose by now most people here know my positions on most CW related topics (military and political), and if anybody wants to debate me on any of them I'd take it into consideration, with or without James as a partner (or even as an opponent).

Thanks for the very kind words, alan, and for putting me in such esteemed company as James B White. I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical of the concept - I think the beauty of this forum is the open exchange of ideas among multiple participants - as exasperating as it can be sometimes :giggle:. I'd be willing to consider it though, if nothing else for the novelty of it. I suppose by now most people here know my positions on most CW related topics (military and political), and if anybody wants to debate me on any of them I'd take it into consideration, with or without James as a partner (or even as an opponent).

In places where I have seen them, these type debates are rare events. It will not interfere nor compete with the free and open exchange of ideas and emotions seen in our normal threads.

I volunteer. If I offer a subject it would almost seem like a loaded deck where you had the ammo for the debate already so it would be better if someone else pickled the subject.

I agree with you, but I do not see an issue with you or any debater having and offering a subject that one has their "ammo" already.......It's how a good debate is developed.

After all a Lawyer that is any good never goes in to court to present his case without having his material !! :smile:

Respectfully,

William

I agree with you, but I do not see an issue with you or any debater having and offering a subject that one has their "ammo" already.......It's how a good debate is developed.

After all a Lawyer that is any good never goes in to court to present his case without having his material !! :smile:

Respectfully,

William

IMHO no one is going to take on an open and shut case. You need two advocates willing to debate a subject of common interest.

I would suggest as a initial effort a military topic that has a lot of familiarity with this group. This might assist in drawing an audience to this concept

Possibly something like: Day 3 G'burg, PPT charge good idea/bad idea. Not ground breaking stuff but a topic familiar to many and has proponents on both sides.
I think that's a good idea. I would also really enjoy an even broader topic like "Which was more important: Gettysburg or Vicksburg?"

I would suggest as a initial effort a military topic that has a lot of familiarity with this group. This might assist in drawing an audience to this concept

Possibly something like: Day 3 G'burg, PPT charge good idea/bad idea. Not ground breaking stuff but a topic familiar to many and has proponents on both sides.

Interestingly I was thinking along the very same lines. Another possibility, an oldie but a goodie: was it "practicable" for Richard Ewell to take either Culp's Hill or Cemetery Hill on day one at Gettysburg?

Interestingly I was thinking along the very same lines. Another possibility, an oldie but a goodie: was it "practicable" for Richard Ewell to take either Culp's Hill or Cemetery Hill on day one at Gettysburg?

My thought were that a well known topic would attract readership and interest and build this concept into larger and more controversial stuff. Any of the military topics would work well here in my opinion.

As mentioned, a military topic would be great for starters. But let’s not shy away from what really gets us going. :giggle:

As far as subjects to debate go, how about those topics that garner a lot in interest? Just perusing the various threads the following topics seem ultra popular:

· Revision in CW historiography
· Lost Cause, myths, memory, heritage, honor, symbolism
· Sherman
· Black Confederates
· Traitors?
· Underrated/overrated commanders
· Southern nationalism
· Confederate defeat was inevitable at what point?
· Why the Confederate foot soldier fought?
· The right to secede
· Longstreet’s reputation
· Forrest

Here’s some other topics:

· The CBF: why are civil rights advocates and heritage lovers both wrong?
· Even though it will always be the “Civil War” what would be the legally correct name for the war from the perspective of both sides?
· Is Alan Nolan’s Lee Considered a justifiable biography?
· Why is Chickamauga so famous?
· Did the primary cause(s) for the fall of New Orleans happen before the actual battle?
· Do you think blame for burned cities/towns should be placed on retreating Confederates?
· What was the main cause of each side claiming victory at Hampton Roads?
· Was the “loss of will” concept a major factor in Confederate defeat or is it a myth?
· Given the circumstances, what was the most realistic option the Confederacy should have used to finance the war?

As mentioned, a military topic would be great for starters. But let’s not shy away from what really gets us going. :giggle:

As far as subjects to debate go, how about those topics that garner a lot in interest? Just perusing the various threads the following topics seem ultra popular:

· Revision in CW historiography
· Lost Cause, myths, memory, heritage, honor, symbolism
· Sherman
· Black Confederates
· Traitors?
· Underrated/overrated commanders
· Southern nationalism
· Confederate defeat was inevitable at what point?
· Why the Confederate foot soldier fought?
· The right to secede
· Longstreet’s reputation
· Forrest

Here’s some other topics:

· The CBF: why are civil rights advocates and heritage lovers both wrong?
· Even though it will always be the “Civil War” what would be the legally correct name for the war from the perspective of both sides?
· Is Alan Nolan’s Lee Considered a justifiable biography?
· Why is Chickamauga so famous?
· Did the primary cause(s) for the fall of New Orleans happen before the actual battle?
· Do you think blame for burned cities/towns should be placed on retreating Confederates?
· What was the main cause of each side claiming victory at Hampton Roads?
· Was the “loss of will” concept a major factor in Confederate defeat or is it a myth?
· Given the circumstances, what was the most realistic option the Confederacy should have used to finance the war?

I think a lot of these possibles are good, but please, not those darn black Confederates again!:confused: Next thing you know, we'll be lighting fires on Little Round Top again!

Back