Trivia 9-6-16 True or False

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna do a wild guess, and say true, hoping this is not a trick question (i.e. 57 or 59 battles instead of 58). Certainly out of a "top 30" list I found, all commanders on both sides were West Pointers, most being very familiar names. I'll be gone part of this month (local mountains) so won't be concentrating on trivia.

REVISED ANSWER: Couldn't resist another quick search! Per The Civil War Book of Lists by Donald Cartmell, p.44 of the online google books edition, 55 of the 60 major battles had West Pointers commanding both sides, and of the other 5, at least one side had a West Point commander. https://books.google.com/books?id=7...=onepage&q=60 major civil war battles&f=false

According to this reference, the question is false because all 60 major battles had at least one West Point graduate commanding. I suspect the answer might depend on whose list of 60 major battles is used!

This is false.

"West Pointers commanded both sides in 55 of the war's 60 major battles, and one side in the other five"
Smithsonian - The National Museum of American History website, "West Point in the Making of America", Fighting the Civil War. http://americanhistory.si.edu/westpoint/history_3c.html

Here is another counting....

"Of the sixty most critical battles or campaigns, all but six were commanded on both sides by graduates. Of the exceptions a graduate commanded one side in every case and was victorious on all but one occasion."
from West Point: A Bicentennial History by Theodore J Crackel p 135

I'd say unquestionably true - unless of course ALL of the 60 you're counting were! (If Brice's Crossroads was one of them, we know Bedford Forrest wasn't a West Pointer.)

I suppose this question could be worded another way, i.e., true or false: in two of the sixty major battles of the Civil War, neither army was commanded by a West Point graduate.

I am unable to find any list identifying which sixty Civil War battles should be considered "major," so I'm just going to have to take a guess on this one.

My guess is that the answer is True.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back