.69 Calibre Conversion Musket

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
gun1.jpg

Here's a .69 calibre conversion musket that had been bent by the enemy.
Destroyed arms were done by heating up the gun barrel and twisting around trees to render the musket useless.
gun2.jpg

You can see on this close up, where the flintlock was converted to a percussion firing mechanism.

Very nice. Were all the parts found together as I found 3 CS carbines and the barrels were bent like that but the butt plates were over 40 feet away as I figured they broke them against a tree.

Here are some photos of a neat relic barrel I used to own - note that notch in the rear sight dovetail, so this is from either a Model 1855 rifle musket, or a Richmond rifle musket. The barrel is full length, and I wish I had kept it to use as a "frame" for a relic display.

group1.jpg

group2.jpg

group3.jpg

I had run across reports from Mississippi after Union Cavalry raids in 1864 where a large cache of English Carbines were destroyed. These would be too many for piecemeal destruction, so I am supposing it was done by gunpowder and fire. Have any reports of a mass quantity of burnt artifacts ever come to the attention of collectors, in any locality?
Lubliner.

Back