5th Alabama Infantry Regiment

Miles Krisman

Sergeant
Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Just wanted to let the forum know that if anyone has questions about the 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment, I am here to help.

I have been researching this regiment for over twenty-five years and have compiled an extensive history of the unit. Unfortunately, it remains unpublished.....but, as I said, I'm here to help.

I also own the Compiled Service Records on microfilm of this regiment, so I can provide "look -ups" of individuals that served with the unit.

One further point - the 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment served primarily with General Robert Rodes in the ANV throughout the war. The 5th Alabama Infantry Battalion is a different unit..........the one that served in Archer's Brigade and were involved in the early action that took place at the Battle of Gettysburg. I can provide little assistance regarding them.🙂
 
Good evening, Folks.

My Great Grandfather was Major Benjamin Carter "Carter" Adams. He and his two brothers enlisted at Uniontown, Alabama in what would later become Company D of Rodes' 5th Alabama Regiment. Richard Henry "Dick" Adams was wounded on May 31, 1862 at Seven Pines, recuperated, and joined a different Regiment ultimately to be captured and become a member of the Immortal 600.

My Great Granddaddy never strayed too far, nor was he captured or wounded apparently, from the 5th; he became the ACS, eventually receiving his Parole at Appomattox on April 9, 1865, while on Staff of General Bryan Grimes, whose command included the old company in which he and his brothers enlisted.

Any information or comment, however minute, would be appreciated.
 
Greetings! If you do not have G. Ward Hubb's Voices from Company D : diaries by the Greensboro Guards, Fifth Alabama Infantry Regiment, Army of Northern Virginia, please get a copy. It is based upon several diaries from members of Company D. It is one of the better books in my library.

Have you got a copy of of their compiled service records yet?
Yes, I have read Dr. Hubbs' book; Dick Adams is one of the diarists that he quotes extensively. And I do have the CSR's. I guess you could say the book spurred me to try and dig a little deeper. Thanks.
 
Good evening, Folks.

My Great Grandfather was Major Benjamin Carter "Carter" Adams. He and his two brothers enlisted at Uniontown, Alabama in what would later become Company D of Rodes' 5th Alabama Regiment. Richard Henry "Dick" Adams was wounded on May 31, 1862 at Seven Pines, recuperated, and joined a different Regiment ultimately to be captured and become a member of the Immortal 600.

My Great Granddaddy never strayed too far, nor was he captured or wounded apparently, from the 5th; he became the ACS, eventually receiving his Parole at Appomattox on April 9, 1865, while on Staff of General Bryan Grimes, whose command included the old company in which he and his brothers enlisted.

Any information or comment, however minute, would be appreciated.
I feel like an amateur for not knowing what an ACS is. I assume its a staff role considering the context.
 
Just wanted to let the forum know that if anyone has questions about the 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment, I am here to help.

I have been researching this regiment for over twenty-five years and have compiled an extensive history of the unit. Unfortunately, it remains unpublished.....but, as I said, I'm here to help.

I also own the Compiled Service Records on microfilm of this regiment, so I can provide "look -ups" of individuals that served with the unit.

One further point - the 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment served primarily with General Robert Rodes in the ANV throughout the war. The 5th Alabama Infantry Battalion is a different unit..........the one that served in Archer's Brigade and were involved in the early action that took place at the Battle of Gettysburg. I can provide little assistance regarding them.🙂
Hello Miles:
Company C of the 5th Alabama was composed of Monroe County, Alabama soldiers. Since both my father's and my mother's lines descend from that county, I have at least 10 members of that Company in my family tree. I have maintained a very detailed tree on Ancestry for over 15 years.
I have photos, copies of letters home, all the service records, family stories, etc. for many men of this company. If you are still researching, and you need supplemental info, just let me know…….Marty
 
William Hulsey was not a member of the 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment.
 
From his Compiled Service Record:

New Co. C, Private. He was enlisted in Company D on July 29, 1861, at Bells Landing, Alabama, by Lieutenant M. J. Brown. He appears on the Company Muster Rolls for the rest of 1861, listed as "Present". He appears on the Regimental Return for October 1862 listed as "Absent – Left sick at Frederick City Md. 10th Sept." He appears on a List of prisoners of war that were confined by Major William Daster on September 23, 1862. He was forwarded to Aiken's Landing, on the James River, Virginia, and paroled on September 27, 1862. He appears on a Morning Report of General Hospital No.12, at Richmond, Virginia, listed as having been admitted on September 30, 1862. He appears on a Register of the Medical Director's Office, Richmond, Virginia, which indicates that he was transferred to the General Hospital at Scottsville, Virginia, on October 20, 1862, suffering from a gun shot wound to the right leg. He was declared exchanged on November 10, 1862. He re-enlisted for the war on January 23, 1864. He appears on a Register of General Hospital No.9, Richmond, Virginia, listed as having been admitted on January 26, 1864. He was captured at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House on May 13, 1864. He appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War at Point Lookout, Maryland, that had arrived at Belle Plains, Virginia, on May 18, 1864. He was transferred to Elmira, New York, on August 15, 1864. He appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War received at Elmira, New York, on August 17, 1864. He died of Pneumonia on April 13, 1865 at Elmira Military Prison, Elmira New York. He was buried in Plot Number 2656 at Woodlawn National Cemetery.
 
Hello Miles:
Company C of the 5th Alabama was composed of Monroe County, Alabama soldiers. Since both my father's and my mother's lines descend from that county, I have at least 10 members of that Company in my family tree. I have maintained a very detailed tree on Ancestry for over 15 years.
I have photos, copies of letters home, all the service records, family stories, etc. for many men of this company. If you are still researching, and you need supplemental info, just let me know…….Marty
I am always looking for additional information regarding the 5th Alabama! LOL

I do have the Compiled Service Records for the regiment, but if you have any photos of men that served and most certainly any letters home and family stories, I would be very interested in acquiring copies of them. Can copies of these items be sent electronically?

As to your ancestors that served, if can you provide their names, I could probably provide some additionally information on their service. The Captain of Company C, Thomas Riley, was in command of the entire regiment at times, including during the surrender at Appomattox.
 
I am always looking for additional information regarding the 5th Alabama! LOL

I do have the Compiled Service Records for the regiment, but if you have any photos of men that served and most certainly any letters home and family stories, I would be very interested in acquiring copies of them. Can copies of these items be sent electronically?

As to your ancestors that served, if can you provide their names, I could probably provide some additionally information on their service. The Captain of Company C, Thomas Riley, was in command of the entire regiment at times, including during the surrender at Appomattox.
Well…hmm. Trying to think of the most efficient format by which to get you this info. Are you still in process of writing a book on the 5th? I will need to transfer the invidual data from my private Ancestry tree into something resembling a coherent summary of about 15 of my relatives who served.
What do think would be the easiest method? I'm thinking email. You can send me your email through the private messaging here if you would want to go that route….?
 
Well…hmm. Trying to think of the most efficient format by which to get you this info. Are you still in process of writing a book on the 5th? I will need to transfer the invidual data from my private Ancestry tree into something resembling a coherent summary of about 15 of my relatives who served.
What do think would be the easiest method? I'm thinking email. You can send me your email through the private messaging here if you would want to go that route….?
I am still adding information to my manuscript on the 5th Alabama.

E-mail would work for me. My address is [email protected]
 
Just wanted to let the forum know that if anyone has questions about the 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment, I am here to help.

I have been researching this regiment for over twenty-five years and have compiled an extensive history of the unit. Unfortunately, it remains unpublished.....but, as I said, I'm here to help.

I also own the Compiled Service Records on microfilm of this regiment, so I can provide "look -ups" of individuals that served with the unit.

One further point - the 5th Alabama Infantry Regiment served primarily with General Robert Rodes in the ANV throughout the war. The 5th Alabama Infantry Battalion is a different unit..........the one that served in Archer's Brigade and were involved in the early action that took place at the Battle of Gettysburg. I can provide little assistance regarding them.🙂
Hello, I have a great great great grandfather who is listed as a member of Company M in the 5th Alabama on his headstone and on his pension papers but I've never been able to find him on any rosters and have seen some sources which list him instead as in the 9th Alabama. Do you think you could try finding James M. Garrison on any of the rosters available to you? It would be a great service in tying up a loose end in my family's genealogy

IMG_2620.jpeg


IMG_2621.jpeg
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top